Processors
Intel® Processors, Tools, and Utilities
14502 Discussions

S3210SHLC Server Board and Quad Core Q8300 desktop cpu

idata
Employee

Hi, iam from argentina and iam building a server, i have and Intel S3210SHLC Server Board, and i want to buy an Intel Quad Core Q8300 desktop cpu to use with that mobo, but in the procesors tested list at the intel site, the q8300 is not listed like tested, so my question is "IS SOPPORTED?" and if not tested will working fine?

Sorry about my english, and thks.
19 Replies
DSilv11
Valued Contributor III

This is a list of boards compatable with the W8300 DESKTOP processor http://processormatch.intel.com/CompDB/SearchResult.aspx?ProcNbr=Q8300 http://processormatch.intel.com/CompDB/SearchResult.aspx?ProcNbr=Q8300

This is a list of SERVER processors compatable with the S3210SHLC Server board. http://www.intel.com/support/motherboards/server/s3200sh/sb/CS-028293.htm http://www.intel.com/support/motherboards/server/s3200sh/sb/CS-028293.htm

Processors not listed on this page should not be used on these servers. Processors not listed on this page are considered unsupported for use with the Intel® Server Board S3210SHLX, S3210SHLC, S3200SHV, S3200SHL, and Intel® Server Systems SR1530SH, SR1530HSH, SR1530SHNA, SR1530HSHNA, and should not be used with these servers.

0 Kudos
idata
Employee

OK, i see these lists but yesterday talk with a friend that is running the same mobo and cpu for a file server since 8 months without problems, so? why is not listed if it work under this mobo?

Sorry about my english, thks

0 Kudos
RGiff
Honored Contributor I

Intel's info is incomplete as far as using desktop CPU products on server products . and vise versa, I'm running a XEON X3380 on a DX48BT2 desktop board , works great , But Intel told me it would not work , the X3380 has almost the same specs as the QX9770.

0 Kudos
RGiff
Honored Contributor I

As long as the FSB and the socket match it should work , just watch the VOLTS.

0 Kudos
DSilv11
Valued Contributor III

And it is possiable the next time you update your BIOS, it may stop working......

I would stick to the supported list.

RGiff
Honored Contributor I

Doc The reason that info is not on the support list is that Intel does not test server products with desktop products and vice versa.

0 Kudos
DSilv11
Valued Contributor III

I would have to take a deep dive to find the reason the CPU is not listed.

Robert is correct that servers do not normally test desktop processors or embedded processors on servers, unless the Board is specifically a cross support board like Snow Hill. In that case it should be validated unless the board went End Of Life prior to the processor release. (this would be my first guess)

Another reason a processor of the same socket type might not be tested is a incomparability in core voltage (or FSB speeds, or ECC, or ...) which could result in damage to the CPU or mother board. In this case the BIOS will normally exclude the processor by intent. (i.e.early Bensley boards will not run Harperton Processors because of a core voltage change. Refreshed Bensley boards will run either harpertown or clovertown processors.) It has happen before were a board's BIOS's has a bug and should have excluded a non-compatible processor and did not. The bug was later "fixed" and the non-capatable processor stopped working.

Is it a good thing? No. it is deffnettly a miss on Intel's part, but which is beter, to stop a CPU from running that could damage a board or CPU or let it run until it fails taking vital data with it?

So, as I said at the beginning. It is best to use all hardware (processor, memory, add in cards) from the THOL supported list.

Using other components is at your own risk. It may work great forever!

(I am risk adverse and tend to want to know I am not violation my warranty and that my hardware is supported by the vendor. I also don't overclock )

0 Kudos
idata
Employee

OK, but the q8200 is listed and have the same core voltage, FSB speeds, etc.., the only dif. is that the q8200 have not VT and the q8300 yes.

Sorry about my english.

thks

0 Kudos
RGiff
Honored Contributor I

If the FSB and the socket are the same , And money is not the problem I would use a XEON X3380 , Which is the best 775 CPU made. But they are $325.., If Money is a problem use a Q9550.

0 Kudos
RGiff
Honored Contributor I

Yea Doc , I took the chance on running a Xeon on a desktop board the DX48BT2 is approved for some Xeons it's just the one I used was alot newer than the board so it was not on there list , I used the X3380 , which by specs, is a QX9770.

0 Kudos
idata
Employee

I cant do that because i have no much money and in argentina the q8300 cost 170 dollars and the q9550 more than 400, so the choice is the q8300. What problem could i get?

sorry about my english. thks

0 Kudos
RGiff
Honored Contributor I

Do they not have Ebay where you live ?? It could not cost that much to ship a CPU???

0 Kudos
RGiff
Honored Contributor I

Yes you could use the Q8300, I did not know how much performance you were looking for.

0 Kudos
idata
Employee

Not much, its just for a backup server, and to use kvm to host a virtual manchine for a time while the server principal have to do a support job (like change a disk, etc..).

And and cant use ebay because the taxes are very high, like 50% of the product plus the ship.

thks

0 Kudos
RGiff
Honored Contributor I

Are you going to be using windows 2008 server OS for the server if so the Q8300 should work because windows should have the native drivers for that CPU. And if not they would probably be availible through a update.

0 Kudos
idata
Employee

Not, i will use centos 5.5 or 6 if they release it soon. thks

0 Kudos
RGiff
Honored Contributor I

The main problem I see is making sure you can get the right driver for the Q8300??

0 Kudos
idata
Employee

Driver? for a CPU? centos 6 use linux 2.6.32 so its actually new but i never hear about drivers for CPUs.

tks

0 Kudos
RGiff
Honored Contributor I

I have . I have switched CPUs on the same sys , than when I restart windows finds new hardware and automatically Install a driver when you go to devise Mng. at first it may just say Processor , than after the update it will tell you the right model of the procsser.

0 Kudos