Processors
Intel® Processors, Tools, and Utilities
14516 Discussions

Upgrading to 1066 or 1333MHz CPU with PC-6400 RAM

idata
Employee

Hello!

I have an HP a6600f, and am confused about the processor upgrades HP lists as recommended.

I have the Foxconn NAPA (GL8E) Motherboard

4GB of PC-6400 RAM (DDR2-800)

Intel E4700 Core 2 Duo CPU

nVidia GTX 460 video card

Creative X-Fi Titanium sound card

I'm confused because HP says I can put a CPU in my PC that runs at either a 1066 or 1333MHz FSB. However, the fastest RAM it will take is DDR2-800. I originally had the E2200 CPU installed, and upgraded to the E4700 because it was the fastest processor listed that matched my memory specs.

Now I'm being told I can put a faster FSB CPU into my PC, and that my RAM will underclock to match the CPU, but that isn't the 1:1 ratio I am used to. That would be 2:1, with the processor running at twice the speed of the RAM.

The E4700 helped a LOT with my PC games, like Dawn of War II. I gained the ability to turn on Shadows on High when they had to be off with the E2200. All the setting were able to be raised to the max, except Terrain Detail.

Since I was getting 5 FPS as a minimum reading with the E2200, and now it's up over 20 FPS as the lowest reading, I have proven that the CPU was the bottleneck. Still, I would like to be able to turn everything up on MAX. Still can't quite do this with the E4700. This tells me that an even faster CPU is needed to crank everything up to the MAX.

Question: How does it benefit me to put a 1066 or 1333MHz FSB CPU in my machine with RAM that tops out at 800MHz. Wouldn't the RAM then become a bottleneck? Would I acutally get MORE performance from mis-matching the CPU FSB and the RAM speed? I'm told the RAM will underclock...

I'm used to matching everything 1:1. The only time I didn't do that was when the roles were reversed. Back when the FSB of a CPU was 66MHz, I could put PC-100 RAM in and it would clock down to the CPU FSB. THAT makes sense to me. However, the reverse does not. If the RAM can't keep up with the CPU, it seems that would be a problem.

Could someone please explain this to me? Please put things in simple terms for me. Yes, I was certified years ago as an A+ Certified PC Tech, but it's been YEARS since I have built a system from the ground up, and if I were to do that today, I would still make sure there was a 1:1 ratio with the CPU and RAM. Why would I put a faster CPU in a system with slower RAM?

Thanks in advance for your help. I DID search the forums for an answer, but couldn't come up with one, hence this new post.

Rick

0 Kudos
1 Solution
RGiff
Honored Contributor I

Because HP's BIOS are so limited as what you can change in the sys, the best bet is match the CPU Frq. to the Ram. IE if the CPU can run a 1333MHZ FSB than get 1333 ram if the CPU can run 1066 FSB than get ram to match. If HP specs say the sys can only run DDR2-800 Than thats all you can run, just install the max ram.

View solution in original post

0 Kudos
3 Replies
RGiff
Honored Contributor I

Because HP's BIOS are so limited as what you can change in the sys, the best bet is match the CPU Frq. to the Ram. IE if the CPU can run a 1333MHZ FSB than get 1333 ram if the CPU can run 1066 FSB than get ram to match. If HP specs say the sys can only run DDR2-800 Than thats all you can run, just install the max ram.

0 Kudos
RGiff
Honored Contributor I

I have a older HP 6152 that used DDR2800 , and I installed a Q9550 which runs 1333 FSB and it works fine with DDR2-800 I just installed 8GB of Ram.

RGiff
Honored Contributor I

If you want to get into replacing the mother board , the IPIBL-LB , Runs DDR2-800 but it will run a 1333 FSB with a q9550 and you have 4 ram slots that you can put 8GB of ram in. Keep in mind the IPIBL-LA Ver. will not run the q9000 CPUs ,JUST the Q6000 CPUs.