cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

TRIM support for Mac OS X?

idata
Esteemed Contributor III

When are you planing TRIM support for Mac OS X?

18 REPLIES 18

idata
Esteemed Contributor III

I think you need to address the question to Apple. My understanding (hope) is that Toolbox will enable a manual "Trim" process on Mac drives.

idata
Esteemed Contributor III

The toolbox doesn't work with the MAC and unfortunately Intel has not produced any tool for the MAC users. I would hope that they would, but given the windows first mindset, us mac users seem to be low on the totem pole. I did read somewhere that the Intel folks supporting Linux are working on something. Also, Apple would have to implement "TRIM" in their OS and I haven't seen any indications of this through the web.

idata
Esteemed Contributor III

My X25 M 80 G2 is a non partitioned disk in bay 2 with 10.6.2 on it.

I have Vista Bootcamp Partition on the disk in bay 1.

I fear you will tell me that I can't install Toolbox in Vista and apply it to the X25 M, because Toolbox won't work on HFS file system.

Looks like the only option at the moment is the Digloyd tool:

http://macperformanceguide.com/Storage-SSD-Reconditioning.html

which I have used successfully once on a non Intel SSD.

idata
Esteemed Contributor III

Hi mikebore,

You got it. The Toolbox will not work on a HFS+ filesystem, even if you installed Toolbox on your Bootcamp drive. Now, if you brave, maybe you can test it and see what happens and let us know, but first backup your SSD.

Hopefully, Apple has "trim" functionality in the work, but I would not hold my breath. It doesn't make sense to have an OS that doesn't recognize the command, but yet sell SSDs which rely on using this command in order to keep up the performance. The next thing to hope for is that Intel will produce the toolbox for the MAC, which is highly unlikely; maybe they can produce a utility script for us mac users to run.

In order to get back near performance of your SSD, all you have to do is do a secure-erase. See this link:http://ata.wiki.kernel.org/index.php/ATA_Secure_Erase

I use Linux(Ubuntu) to secure erase my SSDs. It works in 2 minutes. Then, I use SuperDuper to restore from my HD 7200 Western Digital, which I use to backup my SSD. The other option is to use HDerase which i'm not familiar with.