Processors
Intel® Processors, Tools, and Utilities
14402 Discussions

Q9400 Core 2 Quad Processor

idata
Employee

I had recently purchased a core 2 Quad processor Q9400 suposedly with frequency 2.66 GHz - L2 Cache 6MB / FSB 1333 MHz

To check the processor I downloaded and installed a software "Intel(R) Processor ID Utility"

On checking I am suprised to see that all four cores are reporting frequency of 1.99 GHz. Please help and advise is it okay?

I believe there is some problem as the frequency reported is much lower than the specifications ( 2.66 GHz)

7 Replies
idata
Employee

Its just the Enhanced Speed Stepping thing it will change when you put some load on it.

idata
Employee

Thanks for your reply.

Do you mean, if I put this machine to heavy duty use, then the processor speed gets unlocked?

I played Call of Duty - World at war....is that load enough? ...speed is still the same. Attached is the screen shot of the Intel process Id Utility.

Please help.......

idata
Employee

The thing is this tool does not refresh plus when you minimize a game it no longer needs the CPU to run at full speed.

If you run Core Damage then Processor Id Utility it should list all cores at full speed.

http://damage.vigilantesoftware.com/ http://damage.vigilantesoftware.com

0 Kudos
idata
Employee

You have speedstep enabled in your BIOS. This makes sure your processor doesn't overheat.

You can either disable speedstep or get an aftermarket heatsink.

0 Kudos
idata
Employee

I have the same problem and tried everything in the posts but still my bios only recognises it as running at 2.0ghz, i have speedstep turned off, tried loading the system up, and no change. Any help would be greatly appreciated.

0 Kudos
idata
Employee

I ended up solving my problem. It was the multiplier setting in bios that was causing the problem. It automatically was set to 6, but as soon as i put it up to 8 i ended up with the full 2.66ghz. Hope this might help solve the problem for other people, i also have solved some more common issues so if anyone needs some advice in plain english, just ask

0 Kudos
RGiff
Honored Contributor I

Download CPUz and than you can watch the FRQ. Jump up and down While you run the computer . you may even be able to see the multiplyer move up and down , That being said this is normal.

0 Kudos