Graphics
Intel® graphics drivers and software, compatibility, troubleshooting, performance, and optimization
20602 Discussions

Most unstable computer in 15 years: H55 and Clarkdale

idata
Employee

I just put together a new HTPC built around the H55 and Intel 661 processor. This is the most unstable computer I have ever built in over 15 years. I can't even remember a time when I have seen any computer that has more problems than this one. I have spent every weekend for 2 months now trying different setups/configurations to get this thing stable. When I see this level of instability, it can usually be traced back to the memory but I have run this memory through memtest86 for 24 hours straight with no errors. This computer will blue screen just sitting there doing nothing (at least nothing that is user caused). My problems always seem to be related to the Windows Desktop Manager or Media Center. Make sense since this is an HTPC.

Every time I test a new config I start with a new vanilla install of Windows 7. While Win 7 32bit seems to run smoother, it also tends to crash more. Win 7 64bit gives me issues with recording TV and also tends to crash a lot. I've tried fail safe BIOS settings and Optimized BIOS settings. The only thing that I can say for sure is that the HPET setting in the BIOS definately causes the system to crash...usually on boot up.

I can't nail this down to the board, the processor, or the memory. My wife calls me every single week with a new problem with the computer. Since it's attached to the main TV, this is a huge problem for me. Has anyone else been having a hard time getting this type of setup stable?

Here are some standard things I setup with my hardware:

Win 7 32 or 64 bit

4GB RAM

Intel 661

Gigabyte GA-H55M-S2H

2TB drive

2x Avermedia USB hybrid tuners

Software:

Media Browser

Arcsoft TMT3 1.70

Virtual Clone Drive

Drivers:

Intel HD Graphics v 2086

Intel Chipset software v 1025

Intel MEI v1215

Intel Rapid Storage v1014

-I have tested a vanilla install with just the Intel MEI and Graphics drivers only installed. I have also tested every combination of each driver. I have tested the last 2 or 3 versions of each driver. I have tested the base drivers that ship with the board. In every case, crashes. There appears to be no combination of drivers that make this setup more stable.

I had the exact same software setup on my last i7 920 HTPC. It was rock solid. I am at my wits end.

I just put together a new HTPC built around the H55 and Intel 661 processor. This is the most unstable computer I have ever built in over 15 years. I can't even remember a time when I have seen any computer that has more problems than this one. I have spent every weekend for 2 months now trying different setups/configurations to get this thing stable. When I see this level of instability, it can usually be traced back to the memory but I have run this memory through memtest86 for 24 hours straight with no errors. This computer will blue screen just sitting there doing nothing (at least nothing that is user caused). My problems always seem to be related to the Windows Desktop Manager or Media Center. Make sense since this is an HTPC.

Every time I test a new config I start with a new vanilla install of Windows 7. While Win 7 32bit seems to run smoother, it also tends to crash more. Win 7 64bit gives me issues with recording TV and also tends to crash a lot. I've tried fail safe BIOS settings and Optimized BIOS settings. The only thing that I can say for sure is that the HPET setting in the BIOS definately causes the system to crash...usually on boot up.

I can't nail this down to the board, the processor, or the memory. My wife calls me every single week with a new problem with the computer. Since it's attached to the main TV, this is a huge problem for me. Has anyone else been having a hard time getting this type of setup stable?

Here are some standard things I setup with my hardware:

Win 7 32 or 64 bit

4GB RAM

Intel 661

Gigabyte GA-H55M-S2H

2TB drive

2x Avermedia USB hybrid tuners

Software:

Media Browser

Arcsoft TMT3 1.70

Virtual Clone Drive

Drivers:

Intel HD Graphics v 2086

Intel Chipset software v 1025

Intel MEI v1215

Intel Rapid Storage v1014

-I have tested a vanilla install with just the Intel MEI and Graphics drivers only installed. I have also tested every combination of each driver. I have tested the last 2 or 3 versions of each driver. I have tested the base drivers that ship with the board. In every case, crashes. There appears to be no combination of drivers that make this setup more stable.

I had the exact same software setup on my last i7 920 HTPC. It was rock solid. I am at my wits end.

0 Kudos
2 Replies
idata
Employee

h55 gigabyte ud2h

i3 530

8gb corsair

ocz ssd vertex2

the most unstable system I have ever had also

memtests and cpu crush test reveal nothing

but the system is so fubar

blue screens galore and random

could be memory although tests are good

could be the gigabyte

could be the cpu

blue screen logs not helpfull.

0 Kudos
idata
Employee

Hello,

i had some unstable problems like u. Memtest ran very well. Then i checked my Memory RAM with the Qualified Vendors List (QVL) from my Board. I changed my RAm and i was happy, no problems anymore.

0 Kudos