Wireless
Participate in insightful discussions regarding issues related to Intel® Wireless Adapters and technologies
7431 Discussions

Intel 6300 antennas

CGram
Beginner

Does anyone knows what should be the specification and assignment of antennas to the Intel 6300 Wi-Fi adapter?

I have found some antenna pairs with the following specs: 72-75cm (white) and 92-98cm (black). Are they different for 2.4GHz and 5.8GHz? What antennas should be used in the 6300?

0 Kudos
1 Solution
idata
Employee

Dual (2.4 and 5 GHz.) band antennas are avalialble. Their dimension is usually somewhat over one half-wavelength of 2.4 GHz.(12.4 cm), but not by enough to reach the numbers that you mention. I suspect that the dimensions your mention are the coaxial lead lengths, which can have almost any value. You need 50 Ohm impedance, which almost any antenna at these frequencies will offer. You probably want a gain of about 2 dB. It gives you the most useful pattern of sensitivity (depending upon what you are trying to accomplish), and it is the most likely to meet FCC regualtions.

View solution in original post

0 Kudos
7 Replies
idata
Employee

Dual (2.4 and 5 GHz.) band antennas are avalialble. Their dimension is usually somewhat over one half-wavelength of 2.4 GHz.(12.4 cm), but not by enough to reach the numbers that you mention. I suspect that the dimensions your mention are the coaxial lead lengths, which can have almost any value. You need 50 Ohm impedance, which almost any antenna at these frequencies will offer. You probably want a gain of about 2 dB. It gives you the most useful pattern of sensitivity (depending upon what you are trying to accomplish), and it is the most likely to meet FCC regualtions.

0 Kudos
CGram
Beginner

Thank you! You are right. The lengths I've mentioned are of the cables not the antenna elements.

I've found some dual band antennas but all of them have SMA connector not the U.FL for Intel 6300.

Do you know where can I find them? I only need 1 of such antenna.

I also would like to know if all of them (3 antennas for Intel 6300) should be the same. If I use the 2 regular antennas of my laptop what would be the best 3rd antenna to install? A 2.4GHz, a 5.8GHz or a dual one?

0 Kudos
idata
Employee

In general I would prefer to install a dual band third antenna, but if you are going to only use one of the bands used by 802.11n, then installing an antenna for that band will not cost you anything. I see from my database (which is neither necesarily up -to-date nor exhaustive) that Centurion supplies antennas with U.FL connectors. Cushcraft and Maxrad also often supply antennas with a wide range of connectors.

Which antennas to use; and where to put them; all depends upon what you want to accomplish with your 802.11n connections. Most people want solid, no-hassle connections. For them, three antennas having similar specifcations should be a good choise. If you want the ultimate in range or in data transfer rate, then three similar antennas are a good choise, but one of the little-known "features" of 802.11n is that you are unlikely to get both out of the same antenna configuration. Wanting both, is a justification for having antennas outside the laptop housing, but generally the robustness and convenience of having them inside the housing far outweighs the loss of flexibility.

If you want further help in setting up your antennas, please contact me privately. I may well do it gratis, but because this is the kind of thing I do as part of my consulting practice, I do not want to post all of my "secrets." I can be reached at steven.hessel@tsc-wireless.com or 408 255 2090 (U.S.A.)

0 Kudos
CGram
Beginner

Thank you! I'll get in touch.

0 Kudos
idata
Employee

janab 6300 mobile ka intana prient kis tarha lagana hjay

0 Kudos
AJozs
Beginner

hi all, hi Steven,

This product compatible with Dell 1702 (Atheros AR5B195) ? The old DW1702 card failed. This modell half or full size wifi card? Antenna connector: U.FL I see the same. My Dell Vostro 3550 notebook two antennas. This Intel 6300 and 6235 antenna connector U.FL or M.FL? Two kinds of models, I have to U.FL

The two existing antennas used in this product is 450MHz, or buy a more Intel Centrino 6235 (dual band 300Mhz) adapter?

I'm waiting for your answer please!

regards, Aaron

0 Kudos
Jose_H_Intel1
Employee

Please remember that Intel wireless adapters are meant to be professionally installed by Original Equipment Manufacturer (OEM) technicians on certified systems only.

We recommend contacting your system manufacturer since only they are entitled to provide the list of validated and certified adapters that are compatible with your system and the proper means to do the hardware exchange for you.

Regulatory information regarding hardware installation or upgrade

http://www.intel.com/support/wireless/wlan/sb/cs-011644.htm http://www.intel.com/support/wireless/wlan/sb/cs-011644.htm

0 Kudos