Processors
Intel® Processors, Tools, and Utilities
14506 Discussions

My motherboard says I'm over the 95w TDP limit but...

idata
Employee

When I power on my computer, after the first screen, I get this message saying "The Max Power of the cpu is 95w". Then it begins the countdown to shutting down. I went on a little investigation to check the TDP of my P4 processor chip(it is 3.2 ghz), and it shows specs of 84-86w. What gives? I was able to bypass that message before my computer shutdown by pressing the F10 key for some reason. My motherboard is a Biostar model 945GC-M4. It's weird how it accepts DDR2 RAM, my highest is 667 mhz which is installed, and a 16x PCI-E, but it's only a 478 socket motherboard that has a 95w limit. These things don't seem to balance out too well. I only found out again about TDP after I made the purchase however. I don't want to return it, because it's the only 478 mobo they had, and they charge a 20% restocking fee, so if I go to the other PC shop I had in mind, I have to pay $30, plus the risk of not having a DDR2 socket, although I do have a DDR RAM chip. I still would have wasted $32 on a new DDR2 RAM chip, which I would have to resell at a lower value. Also, I have a 600 watt power supply if that helps any. Also if you guys could give me a hand on how to get front panel HD audio with a tower case that only has AC 97 connectors that would be great as well, thanks!

0 Kudos
0 Replies