Ethernet Products
Determine ramifications of Intel® Ethernet products and technologies
4868 Discussions

Installer and uninstaller both hang (in different ways)

idata
Employee

Quick info before I begin:

• Desktop PC (custom assembled)
  • NICs:
    • Integrated Realtek GigE something (unused)
    • Intel Gigabit CT
  • Motherboard: Gigabyte EX58-UD3R

When trying to install driver and PROset updates for my Gigabit CT, the installer stopped at the "Installing network drivers for:" window. Windows did not report it as hanging; it simply never went away. After ~20 minutes I forced it closed and rebooted.

The adapter still worked, but I was unsure if drivers had updated successfully. I decided to uninstall Intel Network Connections Drivers via Programs and Features in Control Panel. I clicked yes on the dialog asking me if I was sure, and that window stopped responding and was listed by Windows as hanging.

After ~10 I forced it closed and rebooted again. The adapter still works, but I get the feeling it's not in ideal conditions.

Device Manager reports driver version 11.7.32.0, and all PROset tabs are gone.

Any ideas what this is or how to fix it?

1 Reply
Mark_H_Intel
Employee

The good news is driver version 11.7.32.0 is the latest driver and if you have an Ethernet connection, then the driver is working properly.

The bad news is that something on your computer is blocking the installer from completing normally, which means related entries in the Windows registry might be corrupt. However, if Intel Network Connections software has been removed from the installed programs list, then you might be able to do a normal install.

http://www.intel.com/support/network/sb/CS-029916.htm Unable to uninstall network adapter drivers and/or teams will give you some help if you continue to have an install or uninstall problem.

Also check to see if there is a window hiding behind another open window if the program appears to hang. There might be something hidden waiting for you to click OK.

I hope this helps.

Mark H

0 Kudos