Graphics
Intel® graphics drivers and software, compatibility, troubleshooting, performance, and optimization
20626 Discussions

Adding Graphics Card, Need To Disable On Board Graphics ??

idata
Employee

Hello, I have added a graphics card trying to improve overall graphics performance. Card works, but is it necessary to disable on board graphics.

Asus board P5LP-LE with P4 630 processor and Intel 945G chipset.

Thanks for any advice. Dale

0 Kudos
2 Replies
Allan_J_Intel1
Employee

Actually, the Intel 945G Express Chipset is based on PCI Express technology. If you have added a PCI Express video card, there is no need to disable the onboard graphics. This should be electronically disabled by now.

On the other hand, if you have added a regular PCI video card, I am afraid there are no settings to disable the onboard graphics controller. You just need to select at BIOS level the output device. Consult with your computer manufacturer for video settings in BIOS.

idata
Employee

Hi Allen, Thank you for the answer, this will sure help with future upgrades. I did install a PCI E card and as I said before the card is working just fine. I did remember from years past that it may be necessary to disable the on board, but, since it was working I just needed to ask to be sure. Thank you again for the quick response. Dale

0 Kudos