Processors
Intel® Processors, Tools, and Utilities
14530 Discussions

my new E8500 runs way hot!?

idata
Employee

heya,

recently replaced my e6600 with a brand new e8500 but the tempratures worry me ALOT.

on full stock settings when i stress the cpu i get a temp of 75c (depending on room temp goes between 67-75c)

i dont think this is normal?

What i already did is:

-tried a difrent (stock intel cooler) on it same results.

-tried a difrent motherboard (same type) same results.

-tried a difrent motherboard (difrent type) same results.

-tried a massive cooler on it (one i used on my e6600 wich went up to about 40-45c) almost same results (think it was about 5-7c lower)

Everytime i used a difrent cooler i removed all old coolpaste and added new paste on it the paste itself has a nice layout covering the entire base of the cooler. (so i cant be bad contact). Coolers i used all sat firm on the cpu and werent not movable at all.

As far as i can see and speculate the heatspreader is making bad contact with the core itself (unless you think this temp is normal).

I already went to the store i got the cpu from and he claims unless it overheats (+100c) that he cant do anything about it as intel wont see it as a faulty product? I hope this isnt the case cuase then this is the worst cpu i have ever had.

Hope anyone knows something about faulty heatspreaders in a range of e8500's or something so i can get a difrent one somehow as this rly isnt usable for me.

Also how in gods name do you contact intel? got up to some live chat that was offline then gave me a page to fill in but it asked me for some sort of ID?

1 Solution
idata
Employee

Hi,

All CPU even same models can have varying temps, so that is a possibility also it seems to be fine and within the threshold.

You aren't putting too much thermal paste on are you?becasue that can cause overheating too.

Also how long have you stressed the system for? Does it shut down at all?

It couyld also be that the temps are being misread.

"I already went to the store i got the cpu from and he claims unless it overheats (+100c) that he cant do anything about it as intel wont see it as a faulty product? I hope this isnt the case cuase then this is the worst cpu i have ever had. " well this is true, but you could contact them anyways:http://www.intel.com/support/9089.htm

I will be honest though, if you have stress tested the system for a good few hours and it hasn't shut down then you haven't got a problem. Specially if you aren't planning to use the CPU for the next 20 years.

View solution in original post

5 Replies
idata
Employee

ow almost forgot my idle temp is around 40-45c.

i fidn this very high also as my friends e8400 only has 28-30c idle

idata
Employee

Hi,

All CPU even same models can have varying temps, so that is a possibility also it seems to be fine and within the threshold.

You aren't putting too much thermal paste on are you?becasue that can cause overheating too.

Also how long have you stressed the system for? Does it shut down at all?

It couyld also be that the temps are being misread.

"I already went to the store i got the cpu from and he claims unless it overheats (+100c) that he cant do anything about it as intel wont see it as a faulty product? I hope this isnt the case cuase then this is the worst cpu i have ever had. " well this is true, but you could contact them anyways:http://www.intel.com/support/9089.htm

I will be honest though, if you have stress tested the system for a good few hours and it hasn't shut down then you haven't got a problem. Specially if you aren't planning to use the CPU for the next 20 years.

idata
Employee

To much thermalpaste? dont think this can be it as i tried less and i tried more then i normaly use and my e6600 runs cool on the same amount.

Stressed for about 10min but i have played games on it for hours so no it doesnt shut down.

Misread? dont think this is possible as i tried 3 boards already .. unless the actual cpu temp sensor is bad.

I geus ill have to sel this "pos" then as i normaly overclock my system wich is impossible on this cpu (well almost as the cpu will prolly get even hotter).

Rly sad that this is not a problem acording to intel as it criples how i can use my cpu alot (and makes me buying this totaly obsolete as my e6600 ran on 3.6ghz np)

ah well

idata
Employee

"To much thermalpaste?" obviously i can't see how much you are putting on, but yes this can be an issue. You really only need a grain of rice sized bit of thermal paste.

"Misread? dont think this is possible as i tried 3 boards already .. unless the actual cpu temp sensor is bad." Yes exactly what i meant that the CPU sensor is miosreading (you also have to consider that Intel does not release information about how to read core temps from the CPU, nor do the really add the feature in their own boards.

"I geus ill have to sel this "pos" then as i normaly overclock my system wich is impossible on this cpu (well almost as the cpu will prolly get even hotter)." It is a kinda lottery, you could by two identicxal CPUS at the same time one could easily run hotter than the other.

"Rly sad that this is not a problem acording to intel as it criples how i can use my cpu alot (and makes me buying this totaly obsolete as my e6600 ran on 3.6ghz np)" It does not criple your system nor the way Intel intended the CPU to be used Ie you can play games all night and do what you want with it, so it isn't faulty, you just can't overclock. YOu have to be lucky and get an overclockable CPU. Good luck!

0 Kudos
plee21
Valued Contributor I

Hi

[quote]

on full stock settings when i stress the cpu i get a temp of 75c (depending on room temp goes between 67-75c)

i dont think this is normal?[/quote]

That sounds normal enough. On my DP55WG the fan only speeds up for extra cooling at 80 degrees, with the processor rated for 99 degrees. They are designed to run hot. Daft as it may sound it is also easier to remove the heat when the design is to run hot, as heat transfers quicker when their is a bigger temperature difference, i.e. to your processor the case temperature of 30 or 40 degrees is cold!

As for overclocking there are simply no guarantees. The CPU is already clocked very fast, so you have little room to push it anymore. Overclocking is more successful on slower parts, but when you buy the top of the range, overclocking is harder.

Regards

Phil

0 Kudos