Processors
Intel® Processors, Tools, and Utilities
14514 Discussions

processor stepping

idata
Employee

Hi all,

i m getting informational event in windows.

Event Type: Information

Event Source: Application Popup

Event Category: None

Event ID: 41

Description:

The CPUs in this multiprocessor system are not all the same revision level. To use all processors the operating system restricts itself to the features of the least capable processor in the system. Should problems occur with this system, contact the CPU manufacturer to see if this mix of processors is supported.

although server is working fine. server is DL 380 G5 with windows 2003 enterprise edition service pack2.

i have two processors with different stepping

socket 1 : processor stepping 000b

socket 2: processor stepping 0007.

Do yo think operating system performance is affected? as indicated above in the message.

which one is higher stepping and which one is lower stepping. i am supposed to put lower stepping processor in BSP slot or in socket1 . what is BSP slot?

what do you think what is required for the above message.

Regards,

noor

UAE

0 Kudos
3 Replies
idata
Employee

What are the processors model numbers?

The compatibility of a processor is determined by motherboard manufacturer since their testing requires the use of our processors (not vice-versa). The board must be validated for the power and thermal specifications of the processor. The manufacturer must release a BIOS update for the board with explicit support for the stepping and frequency of the processor

Due to this, first thing you may want to do is consult with the motherboard manufacturer whether the server board supports both processor stepping and, whether the combination itself is supported or not. Usually, the combination of different processor stepping is not supported by the board manufacturers.

If it was the case that the processor combination in use is compatible with your server board and need technical assistance, feel free to contact your local support group during business hours. Contact phone numbers can be found at: http://www.intel.com/p/en_US/support/contact/phone http://www.intel.com/p/en_US/support/contact/phone

0 Kudos
idata
Employee

Thanks for good info.

Processor Model number if you mean Model ID is Processor Package 2 (Socket 2, Core = 1)Intel(R) Xeon(R) ProcessorSpeed2.00 GhzFamily ID0x6Model ID0x0FVersionNot availableManufacturerIntelSocket DescriptionProc 2External Clock1333 MHz

i have done Bios update. but event ID 41 only appears during reboot.

The event is showing informational only. i am worried about performance. system is working fine

Operating system will make use of processor having lower steping? This is the question. does it means use of less featured capable processor. (lower steping

in my question what which one is lower stepping ..000b or 0007.

i have found same processor in spare and planned to replace it.

--parkar

UAE

0 Kudos
idata
Employee

Existing Intel® Xeon Processors can be found here:

http://ark.intel.com/ http://ark.intel.com/

Stepping 000b and 0007 are not existing stepping numbers. Furthermore, a processor with 2 different stepping does not mean one is less feature capable than the other since, they are the same processor with same features, design and support; difference would be the revision number.

Unfortunately the information provided is not relevant as it does not provide the actual stepping nor the processor model. For us to be able to identify which stepping came before the other, we would need to at least gather the processor's model number or sSpec code in order to be able to get the correspondent existing stepping available.

Furthermore, you will be able to find the real stepping revision according to the processor model number by searching at the site recommended.

For information on the functionality of your Operating System, feel free to contact its respective developer for assistance.

0 Kudos