Processors
Intel® Processors, Tools, and Utilities
14395 Discussions

BSOD help - Intel Driver Error - iaStor.sys

idata
Employee

Is anyone able to help me with this issue? Thanks!!

0 Kudos
1 Solution
idata
Employee

Please disregard that other guy as iastor.sys is for INTEL'S Rapid Storage Controller and not a Microsoft file.

Have you replaced your hard drive recently. If so take a look on the drive itself and see if it says AF in a small box. If so, this implies that this is an Advanced Format drive and could be the source of your problem. If possible, update the file manually if you cannot get into the OS using either the Windows Recovery Environment and a command prompt or some other pre-environment.

If you have replaced the drive and are encountering this issue during a restore, restart the OS install and load the driver during the beginning steps of the restore.

If this BSOD just starting coming up, restore your OS to before it started and attempt to update the driver afterwards.

If you have more information, please let me know as you description is lacking in much of a description.

View solution in original post

0 Kudos
6 Replies
Adolfo_S_Intel2
Employee

According to the information on Internet, this is a Microsoft* Windows process, so I would suggest contacting Microsoft* Corporation so they can further assist you.

0 Kudos
idata
Employee
0 Kudos
idata
Employee

Please disregard that other guy as iastor.sys is for INTEL'S Rapid Storage Controller and not a Microsoft file.

Have you replaced your hard drive recently. If so take a look on the drive itself and see if it says AF in a small box. If so, this implies that this is an Advanced Format drive and could be the source of your problem. If possible, update the file manually if you cannot get into the OS using either the Windows Recovery Environment and a command prompt or some other pre-environment.

If you have replaced the drive and are encountering this issue during a restore, restart the OS install and load the driver during the beginning steps of the restore.

If this BSOD just starting coming up, restore your OS to before it started and attempt to update the driver afterwards.

If you have more information, please let me know as you description is lacking in much of a description.

0 Kudos
plee21
Valued Contributor I

Hi

I'd also add that unless you are using RAID, stick to the built in Microsoft ACHI driver, i.e. un-install the Intel one. There is no performance advantage to using the Intel one over the bundled one that I have seen, but what I have seen are BSOD 'not less or equal' when using the Intel driver. Often Intel release notes have a list of issues that can cause a BSOD with their driver, so if no RAID, avoid the Intel driver.

Regards

Phil

0 Kudos
idata
Employee

I still have problem. I have brand new LenovoY570. I changed one lenovo Y570 (under warranty period) few days before, because this new laptop can not start Windows and not recognized memory. Symptoms were identically for all. First BSOD time to time, after that very frequent, after that death.

Do you any useful suggestion. I can not change Laptops in shop each few days.

Sorry, I am really nervous, because I need laptop for work, but I am out of job last 2 week, because stupid software f... me.

Best regards

0 Kudos
plee21
Valued Contributor I

Hi

Palimudi wrote:

I still have problem. I have brand new LenovoY570. I changed one lenovo Y570 (under warranty period) few days before, because this new laptop can not start Windows and not recognized memory. Symptoms were identically for all. First BSOD time to time, after that very frequent, after that death.

Do you any useful suggestion. I can not change Laptops in shop each few days.

Sorry, I am really nervous, because I need laptop for work, but I am out of job last 2 week, because stupid software f... me.

Best regards

If this is a new laptop from Lenovo then really Lenovo or your retailer should be fixing it. It might be the case of just getting your money back and getting something else that works.

Lenovo should test and ensure all the software it ships the laptop with works without error, if it doesn't you need to speak with them, it might even be the case these laptops have hardware issues and can't be fixed by software changes.

Regards

Phil

0 Kudos