Graphics
Intel® graphics drivers and software, compatibility, troubleshooting, performance, and optimization
20499 Discussions

Problem intel hd graphics 3000 on Windows 7

idata
Employee

Hi. I have a macbook pro i5 4gb ram and Intel hd graphic 3000 386 vram. I installed Windows7 64x with bootcamp. I installed all drivers (windows tell me that i've intel hd graphics 3000), but Windows says me that the hd graphics has just 64 vram. I can't start any game. How can I do? thanks

0 Kudos
20 Replies
MSchm21
Valued Contributor I

Increase VRAM size in the Bios to 256 or 512 MB.

0 Kudos
idata
Employee

macbook don't have bios!:-( how i can?

0 Kudos
idata
Employee

i have a intel core i3 processor 2.30ghz

4gb ram

intel hd graphics 3000

i am having problems in fifa 12.....the game is running smoothly but when i start the game i cannot see the grass,pitch......only players and the ball is visible...

please help me......same thing happens when i play gta 4.....i cannot see the roads,buildings etc

0 Kudos
JEFFREY_F_Intel
Employee

As far as I know, Fifa 12 should work just fine on HD 3000; youtube shows lots of people running it with no issues, ditto for review sites.

What version of the driver do you have installed? Go to graphics control panel (e.g. via system tray icon, graphics properties), Options and Support, Information center - Driver Version - should be something like 8.15.10.# . What are the final 4 digits? Also what settings/resolution are you using (e.g. do you have MSAA on, etc)?

For Grand Theft Auto IV - see what I wrote above about game incorrectly interpreting "dedicated" graphics memory. This is a game bug. Some folks earlier in this thread suggest there are command line switches that may workaround the game bug. Those switches may or may not work for you. If not, sometimes OEM BIOS will let you select more graphics memory to "dedicate" at boot. If neither of those work, then you are stuck... recommend complaining to the game publisher.

0 Kudos
idata
Employee

graphics driver is updated....version 8.15.10.2622.....and msaa is off.......can it be a cd fault?

0 Kudos
idata
Employee

and please tell me from where can i get the bios option and how to make a commandline.txt

0 Kudos
JEFFREY_F_Intel
Employee

In general both you and applications should ignore the reported dedicated VRAM - it isn't relevant for the HD3000 graphics. Most games should run just fine. In Windows 7, the HD3000 graphics requests memory from the operating system (up to 1.7GB on a 4GB RAM system) as it needs it. On integrated graphics devices, the amount of "dedicated VRAM" reported by the OS is really how much the driver takes at boot time for its internal purposes. Correctly written games would check the Total Available VRAM and would work correctly.

Unfortunately, there are some games that incorrectly assume this 64MB is all of the graphics memory available (which would be ok on discrete graphics cards but is wrong on processor/integrated graphics). Some of these apps will refuse to launch or will crash if run at moderate to high resolutions (for example Pro Evolution Soccer 2009, 2010, 2011). Some others will launch but will incorrectly restrict you to lower resolutions/settings (some of the Total War games - like Empire: Total War). Grand Theft Auto IV attempts to be "extra smart" and tries to dynamically restrict which textures it loads - resulting in corrruptions on the screen (missing objects).

If you are hitting issues with one of these titles, I recommend you contact the publisher/developer of the game and ask them for a patch OR pick a different game from a developer who implements graphics memory detection properly - for example FIFA2011 instead of PES.

0 Kudos
idata
Employee

Hi. Thanks but the game don't work! Pes 11 say me that I don't have miminal requirement! how i can?

0 Kudos
JEFFREY_F_Intel
Employee

As I said above, Pro Evolution Soccer 2011 (PES) has a bug where it incorrectly looks at dedicated vram versus total available graphics memory. If the platform has BIOS option to bump up the dedicated vram, you can workaround this application bug. If not, then you are stuck - you should contact Konami and ask them to patch the game. If they are unwilling, then I recommend you let them know you will be choosing to play games from their competition in the future (FIFA 2011, Football Manager 2011).

0 Kudos
idata
Employee

Thanks. But the sistem information says me that i'v only 64mb not only pes! This is normal?

0 Kudos
JEFFREY_F_Intel
Employee

Yes, this is normal. If you look in the control panel application (Options and Support, Information Center) you will see that looks something like the following :

Minimum Graphics Memory : 64 Mb

Maximum Graphics Memory: 1696MB

Graphics Memory In Use: 134MB

As you can see, the 64MB is simply the amount that is allocated to the graphics driver at boot for it to use for internal bookkeeping. As applications access the graphics driver, the graphics driver works with the operating system to dynamically allocates memory from the system RAM to meet the demand.

The problem with PES is that the game developer put some code in their application that attempts to determine whether you have enough graphics memory to run the application. But they didn't check the right parameter - they checked "dedicated" VRAM; they should have checked "total available VRAM".

On systems that use discrete graphics cards, the code in PES sort of makes sense because discrete cards have their own RAM onboard the card. If the game attempted to load more texture or geometry data than would fit in that onboard memory, performance would be terrible (because of having to constantly fetch data over the PCIE bus) or might even crash.

For systems that have integrated graphics where the graphics memory is the same as the system memory, this restriction isn't true- on Windows Vista/Window 7, up to approximately half of system memory can be dynamically allocated to graphics. There is no distinction in performance between accessing "dedicated" vs "dynamic" graphics memory on these systems because it is all the same physical memory and there is no extra hop over the PCIe bus to access it.

Look on youtube - you can find lots of examples of games running great on HD3000 - even including games like Crysis that are significantly more demanding than PES.

Bottom line: don't worry about the 64MB - for HD3000, that number simply doesn't matter EXCEPT for a few games that have this type of incorrect checking logic. (PES, some of the Total War games, and GTA IV). In the case of PES, the game will refuse to run (though you could try reducing resolution/settings to fit within 64MB). In the case of Total War games, the games artificially limit you to medium/low resolutions and game settings. In the case of GTA IV, the game will run but if you bump up the settings or resolution, you will see corruption (missing objects).

0 Kudos
idata
Employee

Ok i understand. I try with gta 4 and pes 2012!!!!

0 Kudos
JEFFREY_F_Intel
Employee

I would actually recommend against GTA4 since I have already told you it has a known bug. PES 2012 - I don't know whether the game developer fixed this bug yet or not. I know it is present in PES 2009, 2010, 2011.

Surely there are other games that are interesting to you - try some of the ones that DON'T have known bugs instead - you'll have a better gaming experience and less frustration. There are plenty of games that either don't check graphics memory at all OR correctly check for total available graphics memory. Those games won't be tripped up by the 64MB dedicated memory reported.

0 Kudos
MSchm21
Valued Contributor I

You can create a Commandline.txt in GTA4 folder with the following options inside:

-norestriction

-nomemrestrict

-availablevidmem 2.0

Then you have no issue. If its still too low increase to 4.0 or whatever you need.

0 Kudos
idata
Employee

Hi.... gta 4 work but in game I don't see road, building, cars ecc.... 🙂 intel hd 3000 bad??

0 Kudos
MSchm21
Valued Contributor I

I have no issue in GTA4. I have tried with lowest details and game version 1.0.4.0. What driver are you using?

0 Kudos
JEFFREY_F_Intel
Employee

Please read what I wrote above:

"Grand Theft Auto IV attempts to be "extra smart" and tries to dynamically restrict which textures it loads - resulting in corrruptions on the screen (missing objects)."

GTA IV missing roads, etc is a known game issue where it incorrectly makes decisions about what textures to load based on the "dedicated VRAM". If you have a system where you can change the DVMT in the BIOS, you can workaround this to some extent.

This issue has been reported to the developer/publisher but they refuse to issue a patch because the game is old. I recommend that you pick some other game to spend your money on.

0 Kudos
MSchm21
Valued Contributor I

commandline.txt

-norestriction

-nomemrestrict

-availablevidmem 2.0 /or 4.0 etc.

Problem solved!

0 Kudos
idata
Employee
0 Kudos