Graphics
Intel® graphics drivers and software, compatibility, troubleshooting, performance, and optimization
20623 Discussions

Upgrading a RAID1 disk

idata
Employee

One of the two disks in my RAID1 array is starting to act up a bit and so I thought I would consider replacing it before it actually experiences a hard failure. While I'm doing this can I upgrade the size of the disk to something larger? Currently there are two 250G drives. I would like to end up with two 750G drives in a RAID1 array. This is a Gateway desktop system with a ICH7R/DH controller and Windows 7.

I think that I understand this well enough to know that I can't do this directly by just replacing the drives one at a time and rebuilding the array each time. I have an additional open bay in my case. Can someone tell me if this approach would succeed?

• First, remove one of the two drives and allow the array to run with only one drive.

• Install two new drives in the case

• Reboot the system and create a new RAID1 array using only the two new drives

• Restore a complete backup of the data on the original RAID array (including OS) from a server on my network

• Delete the original RAID1 array

If this seems overly tortured and there's an easier way, I'm always ready and willing to go with easy.

Thanks and regards,

0 Kudos
0 Replies