Processors
Intel® Processors, Tools, and Utilities
14547 Discussions

core i5 661 processor too hot and causing BSOD?

idata
Employee

I built a computer using an Intel motherboard and CPU a couple years ago, and ever since then I've had random blue screens. I've installed different operating systems, reinstalled drivers, software, etc. and I still have yet to use the machine at full force on a regular basis. All I use it for is to install Microsoft software while educating myself in the Business Intelligence tools. However, I have yet to really do a project because of my computer problems.

I've researched the error codes I get with no luck. I've also been running into more and more problems such as not being able to install windows updates, etc.

I'm just now realizing that one possibility could be that my CPU is too hot and is causing the BSOD. I'm wanting to know how I can confirm this and what I might be able to do about it. I really need to use this machine.

Some details:

I downloaded a Core Temp utility and it says both my cores are running at about 65-66 C, and I'm not even doing anything except sitting at the desktop, no programs open. Is this really normal? It's getting a BSOD about every 2 minutes, so I'm letting it cool.

I have a core i5 661 processor, a DP55WB motherboard, and an Antec Sonata III 500 case with no additional fans added beyond the one in back. Do I need to add another fan, turn up the existing one, add more heat paste, or what? I'm assuming the processor and heat sink already had some heat stuff on it, so I never added any. Also, if I can never get this to work, what are the warranties on these usually?

Thanks!

0 Kudos
1 Solution
Adolfo_S_Intel2
Employee

Blue Screen of Dead (BSOD) issues could be caused by many components (memory, processor, operating system issues, motherboard issues).

The cores temperature that you are reporting are OK, however you do not need to worry about the cores temperature, you only need to pay attention to the CPU temperature itself, please read the following information:

The TCase for the Intel® Core i5-661 is 69.8 degrees Celsius.

The TCase is a number established by Intel® as a point of reference in order to understand what could be expected as per normal processor temperature.

Anything from the Tcase and below will be the expected temperature of the processor in normal use, anything that doesn't stress out the processor (watching movies, burning CDs, browsing the internet, creating documents, etc.) When the processor is stressed out meaning that you are running heavy processor applications that take control of the CPU or uses it at 100% the temperature will go beyond the TCase. It can perfectly reach 80 to 85 degrees and the processor will still be OK. The cooling fan is in charge to keep that temperature there.

If the processor temperature reaches 100 degrees or higher it will send a signal to the motherboard to shut down to prevent mayor damages and most likely it won't be possible to turn the computer back in until it cools down.

The normal processor temperature will depend on the chassis type, the hardware involved and the location of the computer, and it usually is lower than the TCase.

Anyways, I would suggest testing the processor on a known working and compatible motherboard to see if the issue follows it or not, also try different memory, and make sure it is memory running at 1333 MHz and 1.5 volts.

A as suggestion install the latest BIOS version of your motherboard, if you have not done that yet, it is located at:

http://downloadcenter.intel.com/Detail_Desc.aspx?agr=Y&DwnldID=21524&ProdId=3125&lang=eng&OSVersion=%0A&DownloadType=BIOS

View solution in original post

0 Kudos
4 Replies
Adolfo_S_Intel2
Employee

Blue Screen of Dead (BSOD) issues could be caused by many components (memory, processor, operating system issues, motherboard issues).

The cores temperature that you are reporting are OK, however you do not need to worry about the cores temperature, you only need to pay attention to the CPU temperature itself, please read the following information:

The TCase for the Intel® Core i5-661 is 69.8 degrees Celsius.

The TCase is a number established by Intel® as a point of reference in order to understand what could be expected as per normal processor temperature.

Anything from the Tcase and below will be the expected temperature of the processor in normal use, anything that doesn't stress out the processor (watching movies, burning CDs, browsing the internet, creating documents, etc.) When the processor is stressed out meaning that you are running heavy processor applications that take control of the CPU or uses it at 100% the temperature will go beyond the TCase. It can perfectly reach 80 to 85 degrees and the processor will still be OK. The cooling fan is in charge to keep that temperature there.

If the processor temperature reaches 100 degrees or higher it will send a signal to the motherboard to shut down to prevent mayor damages and most likely it won't be possible to turn the computer back in until it cools down.

The normal processor temperature will depend on the chassis type, the hardware involved and the location of the computer, and it usually is lower than the TCase.

Anyways, I would suggest testing the processor on a known working and compatible motherboard to see if the issue follows it or not, also try different memory, and make sure it is memory running at 1333 MHz and 1.5 volts.

A as suggestion install the latest BIOS version of your motherboard, if you have not done that yet, it is located at:

http://downloadcenter.intel.com/Detail_Desc.aspx?agr=Y&DwnldID=21524&ProdId=3125&lang=eng&OSVersion=%0A&DownloadType=BIOS

0 Kudos
idata
Employee

Thank you Adolfo, I haven't had a BSOD in over a week now. I updated my BIOS, but what seemed to solve the whole problem was replacing all the memory chips. It's been working beautifully. One thing I noticed when putting the new RAM in is that they popped in a LOT easier than the first ones, no effort really. So makes me wonder if the first ones were not as snug as they needed to be. I remember having to use a lot of force to get the first ones installed. I thought I had a well-known brand, but when I took them out, they were of a brand I never heard of before. I replaced them with the Corsair brand.

Amazing what bad RAM can cause.

I can run Windows Updates again, too.

Thank you!!!

0 Kudos
idata
Employee

Dana,

Please specify the BSOD bug check code you are experiencing.

As Adolfo indicates, CPU temperatures in mid 60 C range is normal.

Jason

0 Kudos
idata
Employee

Hi Jason and Adolfo,

thank you for your responses. Unfortunately, I can't just swap out motherboards. I did replace the CPU cooler. Temps are real low now, but obviously problem isn't fixed.

Every time I get the BSOD, it's a different error. I think I've seen about 5-6 different ones. This is one of the codes I have received. I can start making sure to save each one I get in case it helps. When I do get the blue screen, the very top gives different things, like system exception, or nonpaging error, or memory management, etc, all in caps. In the stop error itself, no devices are listed. The last 2 BSOD's I got today don't give any particular all-caps errors at the top... Anyway, one of the ones I saved from a few days ago is:

Problem signature:

Problem Event Name: BlueScreen

OS Version: 6.1.7600.2.0.0.256.48

Locale ID: 1033

Additional information about the problem:

BCCode: 3b

BCP1: 00000000C0000005

BCP2: FFFFF80002FA93ED

BCP3: FFFFF880064EF770

BCP4: 0000000000000000

OS Version: 6_1_7600

Service Pack: 0_0

Product: 256_1

Since then, I have updated my video card driver which seemed difficult. It would either complain my hardware didn't match the software or I already have the most current, but finally got through all that. Of course, it didn't resolve the BSODs. I will update the BIOS as suggested. I'm also wanting more RAM, so I'm going to just order 4 dimms of 4GB each and remove what's there. I will make sure to get 1333 at 1.5v as recommended.

I'll keep you updated. Let me know if you want any of my dmp files or other error codes I get.

Thank you!!

Dana

0 Kudos