Processors
Intel® Processors, Tools, and Utilities
14517 Discussions

How does Static Hard Partitioning work on Xenon 7500 series

idata
Employee

Hi all

I have a question that i hope one of you can help me with. In this white paper on the Xenin 7500 series:

http://www.intel.com/Assets/PDF/whitepaper/323479.pdf http://www.intel.com/Assets/PDF/whitepaper/323479.pdf

It is describet that it is possible to use "Static Hard Partitioning to provide advanced workload isolation and to enable maintenance

without bringing down the system". Does anyone know where i can find more information/description on the technology or may know what exactly the technology does? Does it f.eks. make i possible to change a processor in a mp setup without bringen the system down. Does the feature open up for the possibility to have multiple OS installations running on the same system, even on the same procossor (hardware core pinning)?

Thanks for your time!

/Jack

0 Kudos
3 Replies
Adolfo_S_Intel2
Employee

I will perform a research on this matter to see if Intel has any information as the one that you are looking for.

However, as a note, this feature seems to be more a software level feature.

0 Kudos
Adolfo_S_Intel2
Employee

This is the information that I found regarding your questions:

1. Does anyone know where I can find more information/description on the technology or may know what exactly the technology does?

Answer: Intel® does not have any additional publicly available information at this time. Contact a vendor who has a system that support.

1. Does it make it possible to change a processor in a mp setup without bringing the system down.

Answer: CPU hot swap is not specifically a feature of Static Hard Partitioning, but an OEM may implement CPU hot swap as a separate capability.

1. Does the feature open up the possibility to have multiple OS installations running on the same system, even on the same processor (hardware core pinning)?

Answer: Static Hard Partitioning is not required to run multiple operating systems. This can be done via Virtualization. Static Hard Partitioning does allow Virtualization to be done in a more isolated fashion. For example you could have multiple operating system s on partition 1, different operating systems on partition 2 and problems on one partition will not affect software running on the other partition.

I hope the above information will help you.

0 Kudos
idata
Employee

Hi Adolfo_Intel

Thanks for your replies - very helpfull :-)

It is exactly running virtualization in a more isolated fashion that I am interested in, but so far I only found that Hitachi build a server setup utilizing the feature to implement LPAR on a x86 architecture.

Br. Jack

0 Kudos