Graphics
Intel® graphics drivers and software, compatibility, troubleshooting, performance, and optimization
20634 Discussions

HD4000. Extended display. Automatically switch primary display to external lcd after closing laptop screen?

idata
Employee

specs:

lenovo y580

i7-3610m

hd4000

nvidia gtx660m optimus.

windows 7 x64 home.

I always run dual monitor extended desktop on windows with laptop as primary display, and external lcd via hdmi as secondary.

On all my older non-intel graphics laptops, whenever I close the laptop lid, the laptop screen shuts down, and Windows disables extended desktop and automatically switches to the external lcd as primary display.

Whatever was displayed on the external lcd previously is mashed together with whatever was on the laptop screen, and everything is now displayed on the external lcd.

If i open the laptop lid/screen again, extended desktop mode returns, and the laptop screen is once again the primary display, with the external lcd as the secondary.

The above sequence is all automatic on my older laptops.

Also, if i run single display mode from laptop and have external lcd plugged into hdmi, when I close laptop lid, display automatically switches to external lcd.

This should be the normal behavior of most laptops, right?

But this is not what happens with my y580 with hd4000.

If i select extended desktop, with laptop as primary display, and external lcd as secondary, and then I close the laptop lid/screen, it does not automatically switch to the external lcd. Instead, it remains in extended desktop mode, and because I have closed the laptop lid, I can't see my primary desktop.

How do I make it automatically display to external lcd when I close the laptop lid, WITHOUT pressing Windows+P ?

Is this an intel driver issue?

0 Kudos
1 Reply
Allan_J_Intel1
Employee

Hi there!

It looks like your system is currently running switchable graphics; this means that your computer runs Intel graphics and Nvidia at same time. This type of computers do not use generic Intel drivers, they require special drivers from the computer manufacturer. I would highly recommend you contact your computer manufacturer for further assistance.

Thanks

Allan.

0 Kudos