Intel® Processors, Tools, and Utilities
14530 Discussions

i-5 3570k and RAM compatibility.

idata
Employee

I'm building a new system composing of:

Mobo - ASRock Z77 Pro 4

CPU - i5-3570K LGA1155

RAM - Kingston HyperX 16GB DDR3-1600 (PC3-12800) CL9 Dual Channel Desktop Memory Kit (Four 4GB Memory Modules)

^Copied straight from micro-center's website.

According to the RAM box it says "Intel XMP Certified Quad Channel" Does this mean that the RAM can be set to run as either dual or quad channel? Or is the RAM quad channel only? I've yet to get a straight answer from multiple websites weather or not it is dual or quad channel. But I did see from a YouTube comment (I know not the best place for information) that it could work in dual channel as well.

Also from what I understand that the 3570k LGA1155 is an Ivy Bridge processor and that it only supports dual channel RAM.

If you were unable to understand that mess above my question in short is...

Is my RAM compatible with my CPU?

0 Kudos
2 Replies
FGonz6
New Contributor III

Hello Charlie,

What this label means is that your memory was tested to run in Intel XMP Certified Quad Channel mode.

By using this memory with this motherboard & processor; it should be capable to run with your system, but it Dual channel mode only since your motherboard supports DDR3 2800+(OC) Dual Channel only and also the memory control hub inside on your processor was designed to run with Dual channel memory as well.

Please let us know the memory part number which should start with "KHX" for us to check the specifications directly from the manufacturer in order to determine if the memory in question is compatible with your processor

Regards,

RRamo7
New Contributor III

Hi Charlie,

We were double checking the specs of your RAM memory; it looks like the part number of this desktop memory model is KHX1600C9D3K4/16GX.

If that is correct, it is not fully compatible, but it could work. This is because this specific RAM memory works at 1600MHz which is perfect, but the voltage this memory needs in order to reach 1600MHz speed will be 1.65v, and the recommended voltage is 1.5v.

You can find that information in the datasheet of this processor at the following link (page 11): http://www.intel.com/content/www/us/en/processors/core/3rd-gen-core-desktop-vol-1-datasheet.html Desktop 3rd Gen Intel® Core™ Processor Family: Datasheet, Vol 1

The fully recommended RAM memory specifications for any 3rd Generation Intel® Core™ processor will be 1600MHz at 1.5 volts.

Regarding the channels, this processor supports dual channel memory, and each memory channel can handle up to two memory modules. So you will be able to use up to 4 memory sticks at the same time.

0 Kudos