Processors
Intel® Processors, Tools, and Utilities
14536 Discussions

beeping sound related to processor power management

idata
Employee

Hello,

3 days ago my computer started making very quiet beeping sounds, it happens mostly when I use Mozilla Firefox and Windows Explorer.

My impression is that the sound is coming from the motherboard. When I restarted in safe mode the sound disappeared, so after a very long elimination process I discovered that when I change control panel-power options-processor power management settings the frequency of beeping changes as well. Until now I was using balanced settings (min processor state 5% and max processor state 100%), if I choose high performance (min and max processor state are both 100%) the beeping becomes very frequent almost continuous, and if I choose power saver settings (min processor state 5% and max processor state 50%) I don't notice the beeping anymore but of course I don't want to keep using only 50% of my processor. I am using a desktop computer, not a laptop. Except for the annoying sound the computer works normally. I have INTEL LGA Core2Duo E4500 2.2GHz, ASUS S775 P5LD2 SE/C, Windows Vista Ultimate 32-bit SP1. Could this be a problem with the processor or the OS?

Thanks in advance.

0 Kudos
6 Replies
Casey_H_Intel

Hello Erik,

Looking at the Asus* website, I can't definitely determine which board you have. The closest I could find is the http://www.asus.com/product.aspx?P_ID=ly0uHyAg2GI5nzmr&content=specifications P5LD2 SE. If this is the board you have, I do not see the Intel® Core™2 Duo processor e4500 on their supported processor list. It could be that the site has not been updated, or that the BIOS does not currently support the processor. You should have a look at the Asus site for yourself, especially since I may not have selected the appropriate board.

You should also refer to the motherboard manual to determine how to translate the beep code. The sound you are hearing should be defined in the manual that accompanied your board, or perhaps in a specification update available from Asus.

Casey H.

Intel Customer Support

* Other names and brands may be claimed as the property of others.
0 Kudos
idata
Employee

Thank you for your answer but I already said in my post what motherboard I have, ASUS S775 P5LD2 SE/C. And when I go to the link you gave me and see specifications for that boad, in the first line iyou can see LGA775 socket for Intel® Core™2 Extreme / Core™2 Duo / Pentium® Extreme / Pentium® D / Pentium® 4 / Celeron® D Processors. So I don't know what's your point but thanks anyway any help is appreciated.

0 Kudos
Casey_H_Intel

Hello Erik,

I do realize the board supports Intel® Core™2 Duo processors, but that website lists specific processors on the "CPU Support" tab. Try the link again, then click on the CPU Support tab. At the time of this writing, the Intel® Core™2 Duo processor e4500 is not listed as supported.

Casey H.

Intel Customer Support

* Other names and brands may be claimed as the property of others.
0 Kudos
idata
Employee

I have found the problem, the latest Realtek Network driver dated February 2009 causes the beeping. I reinstalled Vista and now everything works fine. Thanks for your help!

0 Kudos
idata
Employee

Hi Erik,

I also experience beeping on my ASUS P5Q-Pro (MB is compatible with CPU: E8400);

How did you find the source causing the "alarm"?

Regards

Steen

0 Kudos
idata
Employee

I eliminated almost every other posibility, and finaly I reinstalled Vista and the beeping stoped. I downloaded all the latest drivers for my cpu and I started installing them one by one. When I installed Realtek Network driver the beeping started again so I reinstalled Vista one more time, installed the old Realtek driver and I don't hear the beeping anymore.

0 Kudos