Processors
Intel® Processors, Tools, and Utilities
14534 Discussions

How to convert from "family x model y" to "Xeon E5420" name?

idata
Employee

I'm running a Fedora linux on a used bladecenter and want to determine the exact processor in use on these blades. /proc/cpuinfo shows the following for all 8 cores:

vendor_id : GenuineIntel

cpu family : 15

model : 6

model name : Genuine Intel(R) CPU 3.20GHz

stepping : 1

cpu MHz : 3192.001

dmidecode shows similar things, but no actual "marketing" model number. It does have a ID: 61 0F 00 00 FF FB EB BF in there which might be useful.

How do I know what actual model Xeon these are from the family and model numbers? I want to print the actual Intel spec sheet for my bosses... I'm guessing that windows users use the Intel CPU ID tool, but I can't reboot these servers to Windows just for that. I've searched the intel sites and the web for a conversion chart but can't find a cross-reference anywhere. Hopefully this is an easy question that I'm just missing the right search term...

Thanks in advance,

Brent

0 Kudos
4 Replies
HERBERT_H_Intel
Employee

something doesn't seem right. the /proc/cpuinfo normally shows the property 'model name' as a string which identifies the processor as in Intel(R) Xeon(R) CPU E5320 @ 1.86GHz or whatever. unless the motherboard is not with an up-to-date bios and its not recognizing the cpu properly.

There isn't a proper list which contains all the model, family, stepping and all that.

CPU ID utilities (such as the Intel one, or CPUZ) just read the model name string and display that.

I've seen situations where cpuz just returns the string you are seeing Genuine Intel(R) and then the speed.

OJ

0 Kudos
Casey_H_Intel

Hello Brent,

To determine the detailed processor name via software, you can use the bootable version of the http://support.intel.com/support/processors/tools/piu/sb/CS-015823.htm Intel® Processor Identification Utility. The bootable version is recommended for non-Windows* based operating systems.

Casey H.

Intel Customer Support

* Other names and brands may be claimed as the property of others.
0 Kudos
HERBERT_H_Intel
Employee

it'll be funny in a sad kind of way if the bootable processor identification utility reports that the processor is a "Genuine Intel(R) CPU 3.20GHz".

Best of luck though!

OJ

0 Kudos
idata
Employee

Thanks to everyone for their suggestions; the servers are remote from me and also in constant use, so rebooting to use the standalone tool isn't really an option at this point. I'm a bit surprised to find that there's no canonical "conversion chart" from a family & model to a marketing-style name, but that's the breaks. I think we're close enough with the other specs which are evident from other fields (ie, the cache size, clock freqs, number of CPUs, etc...) - if I do get the chance to reboot and try the standalone tool in the future I'll try to remember to come back and update the thread.

0 Kudos