Graphics
Intel® graphics drivers and software, compatibility, troubleshooting, performance, and optimization
20629 Discussions

82801FR SATA + Windows 7 (success!)

idata
Employee

I've spent quite a bit of time getting my trusty ASUS P5DG1 PRO desktop (which comes with a 82801FR chip) to run with Windows 7 and I believe I have finally cracked it. To save others from also wasting time, here's what I have found.

First, some history. This machine has three disks. Two are configured in a RAID1 pair and the third is used as a backup for the other two. This machine used to run Windows XP. I found then that the only driver that works with WinXP is the 5.1.0.1022. The 7.0.0.1020 driver (claims to be the latest available for the 82801FR chipset) gives a BSOD every so often.

I upgraded to Windows 7. The driver that installs with Windows 7 (8.6.xxxx ?) mostly works but would occasionally disconnect the third non-RAID disk or, worse, hang the whole machine thereby forcing a reboot. Also, no Matrix Storage Console is installed so there is no notification of drive problems and no means of correcting them should they occur.

I then tried the 7.0.0.1020 driver and was surprised to see that this installs on Windows 7. However it gives the same occasional BSOD as happened under Windows XP. I have now installed the 5.1.0.1022 driver and afaict this works fine. All three drives appear to be behaving themselves and the Matrix Storage Console is installed. Yaay!

Moral of the story: use the 5.1.0.1022 driver for the 82801FR.

0 Kudos
0 Replies