Processors
Intel® Processors, Tools, and Utilities
14405 Discussions

Turbo boost problem

idata
Employee

I have an I7 860 and an EVGA P55 SLI E657 motherboard. No matter what I do the core speed will not go over 2800mhz. Turbo Boost is enabled in bios. What can I do to be sure its woking properly?

Thanks

0 Kudos
12 Replies
idata
Employee

look for a setting to enable "C3/C6/C7 State Support" in BIOS.

0 Kudos
idata
Employee

This is how its set:

Intel C-State tech [ENABLED]

C3 State [ACPI C3]

C6 State [ENABLED]

C-State Package Limit Setting [AUTO]

C1 Auto Demotion [ENABLED]

C3 Auto Demation [ENABLED]

0 Kudos
idata
Employee

6600 what does SSD have to do with Turbo Boost?

For C-State Package Limit Setting [AUTO] what other settings do you have other then AUTO? Try changing that and then reboot and test the settings.

My Gigabyte board was easy C3/C6/C7 State Support [Auto] [Enable] [Disable] set to enable and my Turbo Boost worked.
0 Kudos
idata
Employee

C-State Package Limit Setting gives the options for C1, C3, C6, C7 and AUTO. I tried all options with the same results. So is this a bad CPU or am I still missing something? Everything I read says as long as Turbo Boost is enabled it should work.

0 Kudos
idata
Employee

How are you testing for Turbo Boost?

Use this.

http://www.cpuid.com/tmonitor.php http://www.cpuid.com/tmonitor.php

and do you know that Turbo boost is a per number cores being used at speeds when - 4 core: 2.93 GHz, 3 core: 2.93 GHz, 2 core: 3.33 GHz; 1 core: 3.46 GHz

0 Kudos
idata
Employee

I do use CPUID. The core speed never goes above 2800mhz. I also use that Intel turbo boost sidebar. I run Prime 95 to stress the cores.

0 Kudos
idata
Employee

Is Intel SpeedStep enabled? all settings need to be on in the right order for Turbo boost to work

0 Kudos
idata
Employee

Speedstep is working, the cpu will under clock idle. If turbo boost is enabled in bios is that all that needs to be enabled for it to work?

Thanks for all the help btw

0 Kudos
idata
Employee

If turbo boost is enabled in bios is that all that needs to be enabled for it to work?

No as I said my Gigabyte board needed C3/C6/C7 State Support changed from AUTO to Enable don't ask me why board manufacturer are not making this easy for Turbo Boost to work at default setting.

What other setting do you have for "C3 State" you list it as being set to ACPI C3 try changing that to another setting really its got to be a setting thats stopping Turbo Boost from working its very unlikely that the CPU is faulty.

0 Kudos
idata
Employee

Everything in my CPU Configuration page is enabled. The C3 State option gives the option for ACPI C3 or C2, neither makes a difference.

I also got a thread going on EVGAs forums and they cant understand why turbo boost is not working either. Any other suggestions?

0 Kudos
idata
Employee

do you have SSD in your system?

0 Kudos
idata
Employee
0 Kudos