cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Dealing with Raid 0

idata
Esteemed Contributor III

So when is Intel going to get around to dealing properly with Raid 0? The last firmware update was 5 months ago. That should have been long enough to figure out how to implement it properly.

7 REPLIES 7

MBall5
Contributor

Hello, I would like to let you know that the RAID limitation regarding the trim command is related directly with the hardware manufacture and the RAID controller not the Solid State Drive is what limits the trim command to work within the operating system.

idata
Esteemed Contributor III

Thats kind of a copout. Intel has their name on the product, as such I fully expect Intel to implement whatever it takes to correct this problem. Either technical expertiseto aid the manufacturer of the controller or change manufacturer. I purchased Intel because their name was on the product, nothing was said about another manufacturer being involved.

idata
Esteemed Contributor III

You are choosing to do RAID with SSD's this changes how the OS sees the SSD's which makes it a RAID controller problem.

The problem then is being able to send a trim command per SSD in the array by the OS seeing the data on the array and the RAID controller knowing how that data is stored across the array, with that the OS sees what is free space by the array which the RAID controller knows where that free space is across the array for the RAID controller to send a trim command per SSD in the array. THIS IS A HARD FING TO DO it is likely harder then doing RAID 5 and needing to support all types of RAID and different stripe sizes.

...and then making it work for all types of RAID controllers like hardware ones might not be possible but software RAID controllers are more likely possible which many will not like the sound of because it would mean new hardware RAID controllers that can handle the trim command per SSD in the array.

idata
Esteemed Contributor III

It still Intel'sproblem to supply a controler that supports their impletation of SSD. If the X58 doesent do the job they need to fix that.