Wireless
Participate in insightful discussions regarding issues related to Intel® Wireless Adapters and technologies
7368 Discussions

limited connectivity - local only

idata
Employee
i am running a vista sp2 laptop which has regular problems connecting wirelessly. mostly it says limited connectivity, which seems to mean it can see the router but not the internet (another symptom is that it cannot see the other devices attached to the network). the other vista devices have the same problems, but not always at the same time. the non vista ones (windows 7 and apple iphone generally seem to be fine). the only thing that ever works is turning off the router and the turning it back on a again.

i am using wpa personal encryption. i found that by using wep it greatly improved matters, but i am told wep is old and insecure.

i recently updated my intel wifi link 5100 agn # 2 to the latest version (13.2.1.5). looking at the intel website, i saw something called intel proset wireless troubleshooter and wanted to see if that might help. the intel proset troubleshooting software does not appear on my all programs list, and looking at the control panel it does not seem to be installed at all. i read somewhere that by virue of doing a standard non customised driver update, this software should have been be installed somewhere.

Q1 can anyone tell me where i can find it, or if not where i can download it from (i can't find it in the download center)?

Q2 does anyone one have any tips for getting rid of the limited connectivity issue?

many thanks for yr help and apologies for bad spelling!
0 Kudos
9 Replies
idata
Employee

is the wifi card getting the complete IP configuration ? e.g ip address, gateway and DNS server ip??

0 Kudos
idata
Employee

not sure how i can tell this...should i look at the the router? i can't see anything on the properties section of the adapter.

0 Kudos
idata
Employee
Q1 can anyone tell me where i can find it, or if not where i can download it from (i can't find it in the download center)?

Q2 does anyone one have any tips for getting rid of the limited connectivity issue?

many thanks for yr help and apologies for bad spelling!

Hi lomond1965.

for your Q1, if you installed proset software, it should also install the wireless troubleshooter. refer to the link below.

http://www.intel.com/support/wireless/wlan/sb/cs-025779.htm

you can download proset software here: http://downloadcenter.intel.com/Detail_Desc.aspx?agr=Y&ProdId=3062&DwnldID=19150&lang=eng

Q2. limited connectivity issue usually has something to do with your wireless authentication, such as passphrase doesn't match.

0 Kudos
idata
Employee

ichun

many thanks for your post

1 i have reinstalled and now can use the trouble shooter. i have activated wireless event viewer and logging, and will examine that next time i get the limited connectivity message, and will post the results.

on 2 , only comment would be that i doubt it is incorrect password phrase, because if the stored password were wrong you would imagine that i could never successfully connect, whereas in fact most of the time i can (if only by rebooting the router!)

0 Kudos
idata
Employee

I got the limited connectivity issue again last night.

i ran the intel troubleshooter tests, and it failed the last one: "failed to get ping status". when i hit the troubleshoot button, it suggested i turn off the firewall and try the test again. i did this, but the ping test failed again, so i reenabled the firewall.

i did a screen print of event viewer, but i cant see how to attach the file to this post. it showed , amongst other things, errors with a narrative "REASON_PRIOR_AUTH_INVALID" followed by information " add to exclude list ...... WEV_EXCLUDE_LIST_REASON_802_11_AUTH_FAILURE.

I also have the advanced wifi htm log file (again don't know how to attach that to the post).

0 Kudos
idata
Employee

I got the limited connectivity issue again last night.

i ran the intel troubleshooter tests, and it failed the last one: "failed to get ping status". when i hit the troubleshoot button, it suggested i turn off the firewall and try the test again. i did this, but the ping test failed again, so i reenabled the firewall.

i did a screen print of event viewer, but i cant see how to attach the file to this post. it showed , amongst other things, errors with a narrative "REASON_PRIOR_AUTH_INVALID" followed by information " add to exclude list ...... WEV_EXCLUDE_LIST_REASON_802_11_AUTH_FAILURE.

I also have the advanced wifi htm log file (again don't know how to attach that to the post).

0 Kudos
idata
Employee

if rebooting the router allows you to connect to your wireless, then i think the the issue is with your router. try updating the router's firmware. you can download it from the manufacturer's website, just search for your router's model.

0 Kudos
idata
Employee

thanks for your reply. my router was already up to date with the latest software, so i don't think that was the cause.

i think i have solved this issue after more than a year of searching - see http://support.microsoft.com/?scid=kb%3Ben-us%3B928233&x=12&y=11

very unhelpfully, Microsoft don't use the phrases "limited connectivity" or "local only" in their fix so you only find it by chance or if you understand about "non-Microsoft DHCP servers" which i don't.

thanks for your help - this response may help anyone out there with the same problem.,

0 Kudos
idata
Employee

thanks for sharing the solution.

0 Kudos