Wireless
Participate in insightful discussions regarding issues related to Intel® Wireless Adapters and technologies
7368 Discussions

Blank icon in control panel (Win7) after PROSet/Wireless 14.2.x.x installation

idata
Employee

Hi,

I have one problem after the installation of Intel PROSet/Wireless Software (14.2.0.010) for Windows 7 x64. I have changed the software from 13.5 to 14.2 in my laptop after the replacement of wifi adapter from 3945abg to 4965agn. And after the installation of the last version of PROSet/Wireless Software, in the control panel of Windows 7 SP1 x64 there is a blank icon.

How to remove it?

When I remove the software the icon disappears.

Best regards,

Mark

0 Kudos
1 Reply
idata
Employee

I had the same problem (though I think that, for me, it appeared after installing revision 14.3.x.x of PROSet/Wireless, but I could be wrong and I might also have skipped revisions).

Looking in the registry, I found a seemingly unused control panel namespace labelled "Intel® WiFi Connection Utility", with key "{B9F96805-88EC-4952-929F-397985D7B2D7}" (in "HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Explorer\ControlPanel\NameSpace\"). That key did not appear anywhere else in my registry, so I surmised that it was likely to be unused.

I first renamed the key to something invalid (prefixing it with "aaa") and the blank icon disappeared. The "Intel PROSet/Wireless tools" control panel was not affected (still present and working). I then searched the web for "B9F96805-88EC-4952-929F-397985D7B2D7" and found a post on Lenovo's forum where another user found the same thing. So I backed up ("export") the key to be safe and then deleted it. That seems to have resolved the problem.

0 Kudos