Graphics
Intel® graphics drivers and software, compatibility, troubleshooting, performance, and optimization
20493 Discussions

Intel HD 4000 Brightness Not Working for Windows 8

idata
Employee

I have a Lenovo Y580, currently upgraded to the only Windows 8. Brightness only turns the back light on or off.

Is there a fix for this?

Cheers.

0 Kudos
21 Replies
ROBERT_U_Intel
Employee

What Intel HD Graphics driver version(s) have you tested?

0 Kudos
idata
Employee

that's the only driver i can find for windows 8.

0 Kudos
idata
Employee

tried the new driver, still not working sadly.

0 Kudos
ROBERT_U_Intel
Employee

Thanks for verifying the latest driver. We are investigating it. I will post updates as I get them.

0 Kudos
idata
Employee

thanks. i do hope that it will be fixed soon! i love windows 8 and i can't go back to 7 anymore!

0 Kudos
idata
Employee

Hi Rob,

I'm also experiencing the same issue with 3rd gen intel HD 4000 graphics running Windows 8 (final version avail through technet subscription). I downloaded the latest driver, but still no change. Brightness setting simply does not do anything.

Look forward to your update!

Thanks,

Dean

0 Kudos
idata
Employee

I am also using the latest drivers (I even received a driver update from Intel through Windows Update today) on the official release of Windows 8 Professional; however, I am still unable to change the brightness of my screen at all on my HP Envy 15t-3200 (it has the HD radiance display). Not sure if it's a problem with Intel's drivers or if it is something that HP will have to fix. Either way, thanks for the updates!

-Christian

0 Kudos
idata
Employee

Intel knows about this problem and is currently working on it. We will just have to wait for now.

0 Kudos
ROBERT_U_Intel
Employee

Hi All

Please take a look at the http://msdn.microsoft.com/en-us/library/windows/hardware/jj159305.aspx Windows 8 Brightness Control for Integrated Displays from Microsoft. It may be helpful to some in setting brightness on your display.

0 Kudos
idata
Employee

Hi Robert_U,

Sadly, none of them work. Even with adaptive brightness turned off, it's still no go. Any news on new beta drivers?

Cheers.

0 Kudos
idata
Employee

Robert, any update? Now that Windows 8 is officially released, how far away are you guys from fixing this issue?

0 Kudos
idata
Employee

This was the answer on a Samsung ATIV 700T. My machine and other's had problems especially after a full operating and files reset & reinstall. Most of the answers for the Samsung were to get a software driver manually from Samsung and install it manually (which I did and I am using currently and it didn't make it worse) but that didn't solve the brightness problem. I've now ALSO turned off adaptive display brightness or ambient light sensor, it's possible to do this from the Samsung Control Center (Adaptive Brightness > Off) (http://www.samsung.com/us/support/supportOwnersHowToGuidePopup.do?howto_guide_seq=5394&prd_ia_cd=N0000137&map_seq=31685&regDt=20110415165100page_gb=D&model_name=NP-Q530type_ia_cd=N0000125subtype_ia_cd=N0000137row_index=1 http://www.samsung.com/us/support/supportOwnersHowToGuidePopup.do?howto_guide_seq=5394&prd_ia_cd=N0000137&map_seq=31685&regDt=20110415165100page_gb=D&model_name=NP-Q530type_ia_cd=N0000125subtype_ia_cd=N0000137row_index=1) or within Windows 8 with no additional manufacturers software, open Charms (Windows Start Key) search Power Options. In the Power Options dialog > Change plan settings > In this dialog Change advanced power settings > In this dialog expand Display > and it's called Enable adaptive brightness BUT DISABLE it.

Immediate the brightness control in the Windows 8 Charms, Settings > Screen slider is working and the Fn + Brightness Up or Brightness Down keys on the keyboard are working too.

0 Kudos
idata
Employee

Hello ,

Please kindly go to Lenovo Energy Management Software , under the smart control tab disable ALS (Ambient Light Sensor). Let us know the result.

Best Regards ,

OKR-MAN

0 Kudos
idata
Employee

Hi,

I am using lenovo ideapad z580 and have intel hd 4000 graphics.Recently i installed windows 8 and i am facing the same brightness issues.I tried installing all the latest drivers,Did the settings in energy management, also uninstalled.

In short tried everything but my screen is very dim.when will this issue be solved? its like the laptop is next to no use.

Spec:

Graphic:Intel Hd 4000

System Model:Lenovo ideapad z580.

Hoping for a quick solutions

Regards

Sahil

0 Kudos
idata
Employee

Guys, almost 3 weeks since windows 8 launch, and brightness still does not work on my HP Envy 17" Intel HD 4000 graphics laptop. It sounds like Intel is claiming that the manufacturer is responsible to fix this problem, but I don't buy that at all. I called HP technical support and they are still waiting on Intel for a fix.

I wouldn't be as frustrated with Intel if the problem was with an old graphics card. But we are talking about the latest and greatest, 3rd gen Intel HD 4000 graphics driver. I just purchased this laptop 3 weeks ago from the Microsoft Store. Come on guys...

0 Kudos
ROBERT_U_Intel
Employee

@dch3. If a system has an Embedded Brightness Controller then the system will require the OEM of the system to provide the software or driver to enable and control the brightness. The HP Envy has such a controller.

0 Kudos
idata
Employee

Thanks, Robert. I'm on the phone with HP Tech support again and am waiting for their response to your statement. Will follow up once this call ends.

0 Kudos
idata
Employee

Robert,

Confirmed. After mentioning the embedded brightness controller, they did say they know it is an issue and are working on it.

Thanks for the help.

0 Kudos
idata
Employee

Hi Robert,

I still haven't got an answer on my post made on 9th of nov.Kindly look at it and let me know the possible solution.

@dch3: did you get a fix from lenovo?

0 Kudos