Graphics
Intel® graphics drivers and software, compatibility, troubleshooting, performance, and optimization
20493 Discussions

How do I increase my dedicated video memory?

idata
Employee

So I want to play Guild Wars 2 but I need atleast 256Mb of dedicated video memory, I only have 64mb. I went into my BIOS and changed it to '256Mb : Shared' after trying 'Max : Shared' but I ran this test again to see if I have the requirements and it still said I only have 64mb of dedicated video memory both times. I don't know what I am doing wrong or if there is anything I can do without buying a new graphics card.

I have a Mobile Intel(R) 4 Series Express Chipset Family.

Thanks,

Johnny.

0 Kudos
3 Replies
idata
Employee

you can't increase it, since dedicated memory is a hardware limitation.

you're best off getting a dedicated gaming GPU if you want to play games.

0 Kudos
idata
Employee

Rightly stated by reiyu. It's probably due to the hardware restriction you have. Could you please list down the complete specs here? This should give some clues with identifying the possible work around. In the meantime you might want to get the drivers updated through : http://www.intel.com/p/en_US/support/highlights/graphics/4m/ Support for the Mobile Intel® 4 Series Express Chipset Family

0 Kudos
MSchm21
Valued Contributor I

Dedicated memory for Intel Graphics isn't hardware limited, it's configurable in the Bios depending on system RAM and Bios. Guild Wars 2 is a really new game, I doubt it will run on the old GMA not matter how much dedicated memory allocated. It needs a HD graphics 3000 at least.

0 Kudos