Graphics
Intel® graphics drivers and software, compatibility, troubleshooting, performance, and optimization
20635 Discussions

I5-3427u HD4000 Turbo Core Clocking Issue

JD13
Beginner

After a couple of Direct 3D tests. I have concluded that there are clocking issues when balancing processor power with Graphics power. This turbo core technology, from what I see, is more geared towards graphics power. This, I think is a serious issue. For my particular computer, I think the best balance between performance and graphics is about 1.3GHz Processor frequency and 650MHz GPU frequency. The reason why I say this is when rendering GPU intensive tasks and playing it back, it stutters heavily because the CPU keeps dipping into its minimal state 800MHz to keep temps down and keep GPU frequencies high. I'd rather see a slow smooth stable playback than an fast/slow inconsistent playback. This happens during games also, I have test Borderlands 2, Dirt 3, etc. I understand the thermal limitations of such a system, but I think there should be better balance instead of being more lenient against CPU or GPU. Basically I'm tired of these frequent CPU dips into the 800MHz clock to keep temperatures low and GPU Frequencies High. If possible, can Intel provide a tool allow us to choose the maximum frequency of the GPU to allow us to choose whether we need the processor power or the GPU power and let the Turbo Core Technology adjust to our preferences. At least for the advanced users. Maybe put it in the Intel HD Graphics Control Panel in the 3D category.

Also, slight issue with Windows. In task Manager, it keeps showing the wrong clocks. I.E. it shows 2GHz when its really 2.6GHz

System: Macbook Air I5-3427u

GPU: HD4000 512MB

SSD:512GB

RAM:8GB

0 Kudos
2 Replies
JD13
Beginner

I'm also using the latest Drivers from Intel that was released in May.

0 Kudos
Kevin_M_Intel
Employee

Hello DJohn

I am afraid to say that based on an agreement between Intel® and Apple, all the support on Mac computers will be provided by Apple only.

At this point I recommend you contacting the system manufacturer so they can provide the support on this unit.

0 Kudos