Wireless
Participate in insightful discussions regarding issues related to Intel® Wireless Adapters and technologies
7428 Discussions

System Stop with 4965AGN Connecting to Samsung Tab 2

RFini
Beginner

The subject computer is a Toshiba Portege M700 running Windows XP Pro Tablet PC Edition 2005 V2002 SP3 with Intel WiFi Link 4965AGN running driver version 13.4.0.139 dated 7OCT10.

The system has always connected fine to any WAP, including a Verizon MiFi 2200 and AT&T mobile hotspot, and still does, but the recent acquisition of a Samsung Galaxy Tab 2 with hotspot capability is giving it fits, causing a system stop/blue screen error whenever it connects. I updated the 4965ANG to the latest driver I could find, but to no avail. I am stumped as to where to look next and welcome any suggestions.

Thanks in advance,

Rob

0 Kudos
7 Replies
Jose_H_Intel1
Employee

You may try the latest driver (15.3.1) for the Intel® Wireless WiFi Link 4965AGN.

https://downloadcenter.intel.com/Detail_Desc.aspx?agr=Y&DwnldID=22118 https://downloadcenter.intel.com/Detail_Desc.aspx?agr=Y&DwnldID=22118

Other users have been able to find a workaround for this issue (with different wireless adapter and operating system) by enabling FIPS.

0 Kudos
RFini
Beginner

I've tried downloading the 15.3.1 driver, but that appears to not be an actual driver - it looks like it's a newer version of the Wireless ProSet application; regardless, I end up with the same driver version 13.4.0.139 dated 7OCT10 installed on the machine when I download it and install that file. Any further advice on this front would be appreciated.

I'll look into the FIPS situation and see if that helps.

Best Regards,

Rob

0 Kudos
RFini
Beginner

Per the Microsoft knowledge base, Windows XP with SP3 does not support FIPS.

0 Kudos
Jose_H_Intel1
Employee

Let me check about this issue. In the meantime I would suggest you contacting the tablet manufacturer for further assistance.

0 Kudos
RFini
Beginner

Thank you.

I have contacted the tablet manufacturer and they were not helpful in the least - I was able to connect to the Internet using a different laptop that is running Windows 8, and Samsung said this proves the problem is not with the tablet.

I am going to try connecting the laptop to the Internet using a tethered USB connection to the tablet to see if that makes any difference.

0 Kudos
Tmila
Beginner

I have the same situation with my driver too (same one). My WI-FI hub device is an LG spectrum. Issue appears to be in 4965AGN driver or hardware not the target device. On the target LG device, I changed 802.11 Mode to g only. The default is b/g/n whereas it appears the the 4965AGN driver only supports a/b/g modes. This appears to be a problem with this driver/hardware. I have another PC which is newer and uses another Intel driver/hardware (PC itself is newer) combo. It is configured to a/b/g mode, but had no problem connecting to the LG while the LG's default configuration was in place.

Also, went through the same cycle as you, upgrading driver and finally loading the latest Pro Set, but it would never get past the BSOD. Changing the 802.11 mode on the target device worked.

0 Kudos
Jose_H_Intel1
Employee

I apologize for the inconvenience since this product was discontinued since October 2009 and we will not expect future software releases for this product.

0 Kudos