Rapid Storage Technology
Intel® RST, RAID
2055 Discussions

Can't create new RAID1 volume in Intel Rapid Storage

MK23
Beginner

I have a Gigabyte GA-P55A-UD4 motherboard and I am attempting to create a new RAID1 volume, but the option for creating new volume is not available in the status screen. Windows 7 64-bit Ultimate, 12.5.0.1066 drivers. The system has one existing RAID1-volume, two new 3TB drivers that I am attempting to use in the new RAID1 volume, one additional hard drive and a DVD-drive (ie. all six ports in use).

0 Kudos
3 Replies
DZand
Valued Contributor I

What happens, when you hit the "Manage" button? Aren't you able to create the RAID1 array?

If not, have you tried to hit CTRL+I while booting and to create the RAID array by using the IRST Utility?

0 Kudos
MK23
Beginner

There is no option for creating a new RAID1 array in manage menu, only options for modifying the existing array or marking the smallest non-raid disk as spare. The boot IRST utility is version 9.5 and does not support 3TB drives.

0 Kudos
DZand
Valued Contributor I

Martti schrieb:

There is no option for creating a new RAID1 array in manage menu, only options for modifying the existing array or marking the smallest non-raid disk as spare. The boot IRST utility is version 9.5 and does not support 3TB drives.

The missing support of >2TB sized drives will be the reason why you cannot create a RAID array with them. The IRST Console is nothing than a software, but the Intel SATA RAID Controller of your system requires an up-to-date Intel RAID ROM module, which is part of your manboard BIOS. Only Intel RAID ROM modules from v10.6 up do Support HDDs >2 TB.

Solution for your problem:

Ask your mainboard manufacturer for a BIOS with updated Intel RAID ROM or update it yourself. Here you can find a guide about how to do it: http://www.win-raid.com/f16-BIOS-Modding-Guides-and-Problems.html BIOS Modding Guides and Problems.

0 Kudos