Graphics
Intel® graphics drivers and software, compatibility, troubleshooting, performance, and optimization
20598 Discussions

"Display_driver_igfx_stopped_responding _and_has_successfully_recovered" on vista with a Mobile_Intel(R)_965_ Express_Chipset _Family Video Card

idata
Employee

Hello,

I am an happy user of a Samsung Q45 (see the attached report for details of my configuration)

The problem I had initially with the Samsung video driver (15.4.3.0.1283 June 6, 2007) and I still have with the one of intel (15.12.4.1666 March 05, 2009), it's while using an application, after a while the application stops, the screen becomes black, then it appears the message error 'Display driver has stopped responding and has recovered' OR 'Display driver igfx stopped responding and has successfully recovered'.

After this, Windows vista automatically brings me back to my desktop and the windows of the application stays black. After I have to go through the task manager to stop it and restart it, losing all my work. That's a major issue.

Even with the Intel new driver that happens sometimes, but so much less.

During my internet research:

- I found out that this error is related to the Intel graphics system and is much more likely to occur when system memory is running low; while playing graphics intense video games or using video or graphics applications, which is my case.

- the error 'display driver igfx has stopped responding and has fully recovered' is an extremely common issue with Vista and can happen with any video card installed. Some companies like HP have a video card update for this kind of error.

More specifically, the problem is that Microsoft allows vista '2 seconds' to locate the video driver, but video card manufacturers(Intel, ATI, NVIDIA) allow 5 seconds for the OS to find it, thus after 2 seconds the screen goes black and a few seconds later it recovers. Microsoft says they will not change the OS to adapt to the way the video cards respond. They are making the manufacturers of the video card figure out an update on their own, which hasn't happened as of yet. Today is April 24 2009, this problem is apparently known since 2007 and I don't know if your last version of chipset / video drivers would solve the problem.

Could you help me please?

Regards,

Sebastien

0 Kudos
25 Replies
ROBERT_U_Intel
Employee

Hi Sebastien

What is the application you are running that causes this issue?

Thanks

Robert

0 Kudos
idata
Employee

Robert,

This problem occurs with severals application, but mostly when I am using AutoCAD 2008 Light, World of Warcraft and Guild Wars.

These applications run very well on my laptop, no laggs at all.

From what I read there "http://support.intel.com/support/graphics/intelgm965/sb/CS-026200.htm http://support.intel.com/support/graphics/intelgm965/sb/CS-026200.htm" and there "http://www.intel.com/support/graphics/sb/CS-028231.htm http://www.intel.com/support/graphics/sb/CS-028231.htm" , WoW and Guild wars are suupported by my Mobile Intel® 965 Express Chipset Family.

Regards,

Sebastien

0 Kudos
idata
Employee

Similar issues happen in WinXP with the new graphics drivers when playing Warcraft3 The FrozenThrone. The system broke down when I try to run the game, and give error message or BSOD, regarding igxprd or sth. Rewinding the driver to version 6.14.10.4935 fixed the problem. My video device is GM965 Express on a Lenovo T61 laptop. Hope INTEL would fix the problem in the future.

0 Kudos
idata
Employee

Hi Robert,

I have been getting the message "display driver intel graphics accelerator drivers for windows vista(r) stopped responding and has recovered" everytime my screen blacks out every 15 minutes. Below is the dxdiag for your reference. Please help as it is so irritating and prevents me from finishing my work on time. Hoping for your swift response. Thank you in advance!

Best regards,

Xerxes

------------------

System Information

------------------

Time of this report: 4/11/2013, 18:11:08

Machine name: BRAID-PC

Operating System: Windows 7 Professional 64-bit (6.1, Build 7600) (7600.win7_gdr.130318-1532)

Language: English (Regional Setting: English)

System Manufacturer: Hewlett-Packard

System Model: Compaq Presario CQ40 Notebook PC

BIOS: Default System BIOS

Processor: Pentium(R) Dual-Core CPU T4300 @ 2.10GHz (2 CPUs), ~2.1GHz

Memory: 2048MB RAM

Available OS Memory: 1978MB RAM

Page File: 1813MB used, 2144MB available

Windows Dir: C:\Windows

DirectX Version: DirectX 11

DX Setup Parameters: Not found

User DPI Setting: Using System DPI

System DPI Setting: 96 DPI (100 percent)

DWM DPI Scaling: Disabled

DxDiag Version: 6.01.7600.16385 32bit Unicode

------------

DxDiag Notes

------------

Display Tab 1: No problems found.

Sound Tab 1: No problems found.

Input Tab: No problems found.

--------------------

DirectX Debug Levels

--------------------

Direct3D: 0/4 (retail)

DirectDraw: 0/4 (retail)

DirectInput: 0/5 (retail)

DirectMusic: 0/5 (retail)

DirectPlay: 0/9 (retail)

DirectSound: 0/5 (retail)

DirectShow: 0/6 (retail)

---------------

Display Devices

---------------

Card name: Mobile Intel(R) 45 Express Chipset Family (Microsoft Corporation - WDDM 1.1)

Manufacturer: Intel Corporation

Chip type: Mobile Intel(R) 4 Series Express Chipset Family

DAC type: Internal

Device Key: Enum\PCI\VEN_8086&DEV_2A42&SUBSYS_3607103C&REV_07

Display Memory: 797 MB

Dedicated Memory: 64 MB

Shared Memory: 733 MB

Current Mode: 1280 x 800 (32 bit) (60Hz)

Monitor Name: Generic PnP Monitor

Monitor Model: unknown

Monitor Id: LPL0132

Native Mode: 1280 x 800(p) (60.005Hz)

Output Type: Internal

Driver Name: igdumd64.dll,igd10umd64.dll

Driver File Version: 8.15.0010.1749 (English)

Driver Version: 8.15.10.1749

DDI Version: 10

Driver Model: WDDM 1.1

Driver Attributes: Final Retail

Driver Date/Size: 7/14/2009 09:41:07, 5437952 bytes

WHQL Logo'd: Yes

WHQL Date Stamp:

Device Identifier: {D7B78E66-6902-11CF-5975-0D16A7C2C535}

Vendor ID: 0x8086

Device ID: 0x2A42

SubSys ID: 0x3607103C

Revision ID: 0x0007

Driver Strong Name: igdlh.inf:Intel.Mfg.NTamd64...1:iCNT0:8.15.10.1749:pci\ven_8086&dev_2a42

Rank Of Driver: 00EC2001

Video Accel: ModeMPEG2_A ModeMPEG2_C ModeWMV9_B ModeWMV9_C ModeVC1_B ModeVC1_C

Deinterlace Caps: {BF752EF6-8CC4-457A-BE1B-08BD1CAEEE9F}: Format(In/Out)=(YUY2,YUY2) Frames(Prev/Fwd/Back)=(0,0,1) Caps=VideoProcess_YUV2RGB VideoProcess_StretchX VideoProcess_StretchY VideoProcess_AlphaBlend DeinterlaceTech_EdgeFiltering

{335AA36E-7884-43A4-9C91-7F87FAF3E37E}: Format(In/Out)=(YUY2,YUY2) Frames(Prev/Fwd/Back)=(0,0,0) Caps=VideoProcess_YUV2RGB VideoProcess_StretchX VideoProcess_StretchY VideoProcess_AlphaBlend DeinterlaceTech_BOBVerticalStretch

{5A54A0C9-C7EC-4BD9-8EDE-F3C75DC4393B}: Format(In/Out)=(YUY2,YUY2) Frames(Prev/Fwd/Back)=(0,0,0) Caps=VideoProcess_YUV2RGB VideoProcess_StretchX VideoProcess_StretchY VideoProcess_AlphaBlend

{BF752EF6-8CC4-457A-BE1B-08BD1CAEEE9F}: Format(In/Out)=(UYVY,YUY2) Frames(Prev/Fwd/Back)=(0,0,1) Caps=VideoProcess_YUV2RGB VideoProcess_StretchX VideoProcess_StretchY VideoProcess_AlphaBlend DeinterlaceTech_EdgeFiltering

{335AA36E-7884-43A4-9C91-7F87FAF3E37E}: Format(In/Out)=(UYVY,YUY2) Frames(Prev/Fwd/Back)=(0,0,0) Caps=VideoProcess_YUV2RGB VideoProcess_StretchX VideoProcess_StretchY VideoProcess_AlphaBlend DeinterlaceTech_BOBVerticalStretch

{5A54A0C9-C7EC-4BD9-8EDE-F3C75DC4393B}: Format(In/Out)=(UYVY,YUY2) Frames(Prev/Fwd/Back)=(0,0,0) Caps=VideoProcess_YUV2RGB VideoProcess_StretchX VideoProcess_StretchY VideoProcess_AlphaBlend

{BF752EF6-8CC4-457A-BE1B-08BD1CAEEE9F}: Format(In/Out)=(YV12,YUY2) Frames(Prev/Fwd/Back)=(0,0,1) Caps=VideoProcess_YUV2RGB VideoProcess_StretchX VideoProcess_StretchY VideoProcess_AlphaBlend DeinterlaceTech_EdgeFiltering

{335AA36E-7884-43A4-9C91-7F87FAF3E37E}: Format(In/Out)=(YV12,YUY2) Frames(Prev/Fwd/Back)=(0,0,0) Caps=VideoProcess_YUV2RGB VideoProcess_StretchX VideoProcess_StretchY VideoProcess_AlphaBlend DeinterlaceTech_BOBVerticalStretch

{5A54A0C9-C7EC-4BD9-8EDE-F3C75DC4393B}: Format(In/Out)=(YV12,YUY2) Frames(Prev/Fwd/Back)=(0,0,0) Caps=VideoProcess_YUV2RGB VideoProcess_StretchX VideoProcess_StretchY VideoProcess_AlphaBlend

{BF752EF6-8CC4-457A-BE1B-08BD1CAEEE9F}: Format(In/Out)=(NV12,YUY2) Frames(Prev/Fwd/Back)=(0,0,1) Caps=VideoProcess_YUV2RGB VideoProcess_StretchX VideoProcess_StretchY VideoProcess_AlphaBlend DeinterlaceTech_EdgeFiltering

{335AA36E-7884-43A4-9C91-7F87FAF3E37E}: Format(In/Out)=(NV12,YUY2) Frames(Prev/Fwd/Back)=(0,0,0) Caps=VideoProcess_YUV2RGB VideoProcess_StretchX VideoProcess_StretchY VideoProcess_AlphaBlend DeinterlaceTech_BOBVerticalStretch

{5A54A0C9-C7EC-4BD9-8EDE-F3C75DC4393B}: Format(In/Out)=(NV12,YUY2) Frames(Prev/Fwd/Back)=(0,0,0) Caps=VideoProcess_YUV2RGB VideoProcess_StretchX VideoProcess_StretchY VideoProcess_AlphaBlend

{BF752EF6-8CC4-457A-BE1B-08BD1CAEEE9F}: Format(In/Out)=(IMC1,YUY2) Frames(Prev/Fwd/Back)=(0,0,1) Caps=VideoProcess_YUV2RGB VideoProcess_StretchX VideoProcess_StretchY VideoProcess_AlphaBlend DeinterlaceTech_EdgeFiltering

{335AA36E-7884-43A4-9C91-7F87FAF3E37E}: Format(In/Out)=(IMC1,YUY2) Frames(Prev/Fwd/Back)=(0,0,0) Caps=VideoProcess_YUV2RGB VideoProcess_StretchX VideoProcess_StretchY VideoProcess_AlphaBlend DeinterlaceTech_BOBVerticalStretch

{5A54A0C9-C7EC-4BD9-8EDE-F3C75DC4393B}: Format(In/Out)=(IMC1,YUY2) Frames(Prev/Fwd/Back)=(0,0,0) Caps=VideoProcess_YUV2RGB VideoProcess_StretchX VideoProcess_StretchY VideoProcess_AlphaBlend

{BF752EF6-8CC4-457A-BE1B-08BD1CAEEE9F}: Format(In/Out)=(IMC2,YUY2) Frames(Prev/Fwd/Back)=(0,0,1) Caps=VideoProcess_YUV2RGB VideoProcess_StretchX VideoProcess_StretchY VideoProcess_AlphaBlend DeinterlaceTech_EdgeFiltering

{335AA36E-7884-43A4-9C91-7F87FAF3E37E}: Format(In/Out)=(IMC2,YUY2) Frames(Prev/Fwd/Back)=(0,0,0) Caps=VideoProcess_YUV2RGB VideoProcess_StretchX VideoProcess_StretchY VideoProcess_AlphaBlend DeinterlaceTech_BOBVerticalStretch

{5A54A0C9-C7EC-4BD9-8EDE-F3C75DC4393B}: Format(In/Out)=(IMC2,YUY2) Frames(Prev/Fwd/Back)=(0,0,0) Caps=VideoProcess_YUV2RGB VideoProcess_StretchX VideoProcess_StretchY VideoProcess_AlphaBlend

{BF752EF6-8CC4-457A-BE1B-08BD1CAEEE9F}: Format(In/Out)=(IMC3,Y...

0 Kudos
idata
Employee

I will concur that this is an issue, and a new one at that for me based on the 2 latest G45 display adapter drivers.

I went back to display adapter version 7.15.10.1637 and the behaviors that cropped up from the latest 2 versions have not occurred since.

One of the behaviors that came up with the newer driver versions was graphic corruption in Halo. It never crashed, but in certain parts of the map, the graphics were messed up.

System Event Log:

Log Name: System

Source: Display

Date: 4/17/2009 12:06:48 PM

Event ID: 4101

Task Category: None

Level: Warning

Keywords: Classic

User: N/A

Computer: Home

Description:

Display driver igfx stopped responding and has successfully recovered.

Event Xml:

http://schemas.microsoft.com/win/2004/08/events/event">

0x80000000000000

System

Home

igfx

Problems Reports and Solutions:

Product

Windows

Problem

Video hardware error

Date

4/7/2009 7:13 PM

Status

More information available

Description

A problem with your video hardware caused Windows to stop working correctly.

Problem signature

Problem Event Name: LiveKernelEvent

OS Version: 6.0.6001.2.1.0.256.1

Locale ID: 1033

Files that help describe the problem (some files may no longer be available)

WD-20090407-1913.dmp

sysdata.xml

Version.txt

Extra information about the problem

</font...
                                                  0 Kudos
                                                  idata
                                                  Employee

How would I get my driver back to that version? I am having the same problem, but with Final Fantasy Online. Also, it occurs even when I'm just using Internet Explorer, not necessarily while gaming.

Thanks.

0 Kudos
                                                  idata
                                                  Employee

Please find an error report:

Log Name: System

Source: Display

Date: 20/01/2009 15:23:37

Event ID: 4101

Task Category: None

Level: Warning

Keywords: Classic

User: N/A

Computer: France-PC

Description:

Display driver igfx stopped responding and has successfully recovered.

Event Xml:

0x80000000000000

System

France-PC

<EventDat...

0 Kudos
                                                  ROBERT_U_Intel
                                                  Employee

Hi All

I am currently installing WWC FT and will try to replicate the issue. Stay tuned.

Regards

Robert

0 Kudos
                                                  idata
                                                  Employee

<!--[if gte mso 9]> Normal 0 21 false false false HU X-NONE X-NONE <![endif]--><!--[if gte mso 9]> <w:LsdException Locked="false" Priority="69" SemiHidden="false"??? UnhideWhenUsed="false" ...

0 Kudos
                                                  idata
                                                  Employee

Probably most frustrating error I have dealt with in fixing computer for 13 years.

Mobile 45 series. Last 2 Intel drivers do same thing. Error happens, on desktop, IE. Doesn't matter the application.

0 Kudos
                                                  idata
                                                  Employee

Sorry realized that wasn't so helpful, I didn't add much since the issue I see is 4 series chipset, but regardless...

The 7.15.10.1637 doesn't have the issue, the latest ones do. Vista 64, all applications. Hopefully what's taken from this is it's driver related.

0 Kudos
                                                  idata
                                                  Employee

Got the same problem too.. Got an acer laptop, this error just pop up out of no where, dont even know the cause. Try to update the Intel video driver online but still no good. I also tried to uninstall the latest Intel driver and used Microsoft vista default driver but I havent observe if for a long time, it doesnt give me a peace of mind using the default microsoft driver, so i cannot tell using Microsoft driver can fixed the problem.. I consult this issue to Acer Tech support, they adv me to try updating the BIOS, he directed me to their site where I can download the updated one, they've also adv me to reformat my laptop which is did. It goes to well since then but after a few weeks this problem occurs again, Im just surfing the net when this error pops up again, its so weird! coz im not over utilizing my CPU or even the physical memory, Got Dual Core 2ghz and 4gig physical memory, too much specs for just surfing the net and getting this error again.... Red some forum it say, this error might be caused of overheating... Just really dont know, but giving me a hint that could probably right, coz ive been using my lappy for 10hours when this error strikes me again..

Will it be overheating causing the trouble?.. i have a cooling fan under and got fan too..

Hope this things will have a solution to its soonest. Its so annoying....

0 Kudos
                                                  idata
                                                  Employee

I have the same problem, using whatever f* program!!! Where are the answer?

0 Kudos
                                                  ROBERT_U_Intel
                                                  Employee

It has been reported that the 15.12.2.1637 graphics drive does not have the issue. If you want to give it a try go to the following link to get it. Please post back weather or not it resolves the issue.

http://downloadcenter.intel.com/Detail_Desc.aspx?agr=Y&DwnldID=17368 http://downloadcenter.intel.com/Detail_Desc.aspx?agr=Y&DwnldID=17368

For 64 bit OS:

http://downloadcenter.intel.com/Detail_Desc.aspx?agr=Y&DwnldID=17370 http://downloadcenter.intel.com/Detail_Desc.aspx?agr=Y&DwnldID=17370

0 Kudos
                                                  idata
                                                  Employee

Hello, this issue thats mentioned here has affected me to but I fixed the problem by simply reinstalling the previous driver

0 Kudos
                                                  idata
                                                  Employee

Hi Robert,

i think this issue is not solved. I've tried both the last released driver for Windows 7 x64 version 15.12.75.4.64.1930 and the one which comes on Windows update (if my mind does't fail v 15.12.75.4.64.1.1730. The "solution" i've adopted to keep my windows stabled was remove intel graphic driver and install Standard VGA driver that comes with Windows 7 x64.

Have Intel intent to release a new driver soon?

thanks

0 Kudos
                                                  idata
                                                  Employee

hi robert,

i too am having a simular problem as the orignal poster of this forum

i have recently reloaded world of warcraft

when i try to play the game my screen flashes 2 shades of black and then freezes with the last sound affect being draged on

on the bottom right corner of my desktop appears "DIsplay Driver igfx HAS stopped responding and is sucessfully restore"

yet than a BSOD pops up and restarts my whole computer again.

is there a way i can download the right upgrade for it.

i have a window vista 64,intel g33 clipset family and i am running world of warcraft: wraft of the lich king with patch 4.0.4

wow player

0 Kudos
                                                  idata
                                                  Employee

i have the exact same problem. also while playing WoW like "wow player" previously. im running windows 7 on an intel mobile 945 express chipset. would appreciate any help. thanks in advanced.

Chris

0 Kudos
                                                  idata
                                                  Employee

I have a Dell Inspiron 1545 with an Intel GM45 Express Chipset. I am running Windows Vista Home Basic with 4 meg of ram. On boot up I get the message "Display driver stopped responding and has recovered, Display driver igfx stopped responding and has successfully recovered" This happens periodically throughout the session. I have narrowed this issue down to the chipset drivers by using device manager and have tried updating the drivers on several occasions with no success. I tried upgrading to Windows 7 and this only made the problem worse (lockups). Currently I have done a clean install and used the drivers and OS software that originally came with the unit (July 2009) but the problem persists. I'll try Robert_U driver and see how that goes but you would think these types of issues would have been resolved by now.

0 Kudos
                                                  idata
                                                  Employee

Hi there,

i was here in the forum in the past with the same problem. The solution is... there is no solution! Its probably a hardware fault. The pseudo-solution i adopted to keep using the notebook was start windows (i'm using win7) in secure mode ou VGA mode, install Standard VGA driver (its a driver that fits almost all vga but have no hardware acceleration or any specifc feature) and DISABLE the intel vga driver (why dont unistall? because windows can update you standard vga driver and put the intel driver back). I had tried many drivers, and many systems (win XP, vista and 7) the problem occurs (freeze, blue screen of death and restart) in all of then (worst in win7).

I paid for dell extra warranty (was cheaper than pay to repair and i'll be covered for a year) and ask then to change my mother board. They will do it today. I'll be back to put the results.

Regards,

0 Kudos