Ethernet Products
Determine ramifications of Intel® Ethernet products and technologies
4811 Discussions

82567LM keeps showing disconnect in event log

idata
Employee

I just purchased 4 Dell Optiplex 960 computers with WIndows 7 x64. I am having this issue on all 4 machines. Intermittently the computer disconnects from the network and also at times it will show that it is a 10mb connection. I updated the drivers to 11.5.10 dated 12/10/2009. The error in the event log is source: e1kexpress Event ID 27 "Network link has been disconnected." The workstations all connect to a Dell switch.

I spoke to Dell and they have no clue.

Help is appreciated.

0 Kudos
122 Replies
Mark_H_Intel
Employee

I am sending your report to the factory engineers. Could you be more specific about the identification for your network connection? The driver information does not match the Intel(R) 82567LM Gigabit Network Connection. Do you possibly have an Intel(R) 82567LM-3 or 82577 Gigabit Network Connection?

Do your connection issues happen after the computer wakes up from sleep? If yes, as a temporary work around and to help narrow down the problem, you might try disabling allowing the computer and the connection from going to sleep.

If I think of any else for you to try, I will post it here.

Mark H

0 Kudos
idata
Employee

It is the Intel(R) 82567LM-3. The machine does not go to sleep. I think that it happens after a period of the computer logged off. If I reboot the computer will show at 100MB. If I connect to it several hours later, it will then show 10MB.

0 Kudos
mcbsys
Novice

Same issue here on Optiplex 960 with 82567LM-3. Connecting to Dell PowerConnect 2824 web-managed gigabit switch. Connection often drops for 2 seconds, then comes back up but sometimes only at 10 Mbps.

Latest Dell driver is 11.5.4.0, installed from the start and has errors. Updating to 10.5.10.0 11.5.10.0 direct from Intel site seems to have helped. No drops in 24 hours and seems to be maintaining 1 Gbps.

Saw this thread about SIPS but can't find that setting in adapter properties:

http://communities.intel.com/message/72773

Still fighting some logon/group policy errors on machine startup. Not sure if these are related to network connectivity.

Mark Berry

MCB Systems

Message was edited by: mcbsys - corrected driver version

0 Kudos
mcbsys
Novice

P.S. Forgot to mention I've installed 32-bit Windows 7 Enterprise.

0 Kudos
mcbsys
Novice

Spoke too soon. e1kexpress just lost connection, resumed 2 seconds later at 10Mbps.

0 Kudos
idata
Employee

Mark,

I see that you work for Intel the mother of the 82567LM-2 NIC. (definitely LM-2). Mine is on a new DX58SO MB, with 6 GB RAM, Windows 7 32 bit; self build in a LianLi case. When the computer goes to sleep, the NIC will not wake when the computer is awakened. Similarly, upon reboot, the NIC will not wake. The only work-around I have found is:

1)uncheck "wake on magic packet" -OK

2)check "wake on magic packet"-OK

3)uncheck "wake on magic packet"-OK

All other 'wake' settings in the power management tab are unchecked. I am running Prowin32, the latest version. This is not viable for the long haul.

What do you suggest?

Is it a bad MB?

Is it a secret setting in Gigabit devise tabs?

I am not very excited about rebuilding the computer if it is a bad NIC. The MB is about a month old.

How can I test if it is a bad NIC?

Thanks,Ralph

PS- The wake upon computer wakeup problem was solved with the 3 steps above, seemingly for the past few days. The reboot problem persists.

0 Kudos
Mark_H_Intel
Employee

@snowman

Your network connection operation is affected by the BIOS as well as the driver. The Intel® Desktop Board DX58SO has a BIOS update that might resolve your issue. http://downloadcenter.intel.com/Detail_Desc.aspx?agr=Y&ProdId=3018&DwnldID=19521 Download BIOS Update [SOX5810J.86A] and give the BIOS update a try. One of the fixes listed in the release notes for the update just before this one was "Fixed issue where LAN has no connection after resuming from S3." Maybe the same fix will help with getting a connection after the reboot. I hope this helps.

Mark H

0 Kudos
idata
Employee

The real solution to Intel's less-than-adequate NIC component 82567LM (2) is to just buy Rosewill's RC-401-EX, PCIexpress card. You can get it for less than$22 at newegg. My latest Intel board is the third one I've had that gave me trouble with the NIC not waking after computer sleep. I tried everything the Intel tech recommended, EVERYTHING (BIOS update, uninstall, reinstall, etc, etc) , and nothing worked, other than having to 'disable the card' and then 'able it' every time I rebooted the computer.

If you go the Rosewill route, make sure to:

1) get the latest driver from the Rosewill site, they have a new one for W7.

2) Install the driver BEFORE installing the PCIe card!!!!!.

3) the computer, when it boots up (just the first time), will find the card in about 20 seconds, bond to it, and give you a rock solid internet connection, forever more.

It allows the computer to go to sleep, it wakes up as soon as you wake the computer. Presto, no problems.

CAVEAT: I read on different blogs that tech support at Rosewill is terrible, and that is my experience too. The 'tech staff' know absolutely nothing, cannot distinquish between a desktop NIC and a USB fob-type NIC, and are basically poorly trained sales people.

Good luck, Ralph

PS--Intel, how about building a world-class NIC component and gigabit software that is really stable and robust so we don't have to add NIC cards!

0 Kudos
idata
Employee

Is this issue corrected yet?

We have had the worst luck with these new cards. The wake controls are very difficult to apply in the enterprise and the cards are not working is several cases. I have 4-6 clients that are having issues with these cards in Dell and HP systems. For this post I will focus on one client…

PC will enter Standby, Wakes (on a schedule or WOL packet) and does not establish a network connection until a user logs into the system. Once the user logs in, they experience issue with GPO's, Mapped Drives, and connectivity to server resources (time services, DC's, etc). I see many system log event 27's from source e1kexpress.

The systems: HP 6000 with 82567LM-3 cards running Windows XP SP3

We have tried all kinds of drivers and fixes found in this and other posts with no success. What am I missing?

Other notes:

Other network cards do not have issue. Only the built-in 82567LM-3 cards are having problems.

Try installing both Intel and HP drivers (multiple version) with no change.

Issue is affecting 400+ systems with this one client. Between all my clients it is affecting around 1800 systems at this time.

Any help is appreciated…and no they will not upgrade to windows 7

RK

0 Kudos
idata
Employee

Still no solution?

Different but possibly related issue...My customer with the link drop issue is also having an issue with WOL on their HP 6000's. Yesterday we figured out the issue with WOL.

It turns out the customer is running a 100baseT network with 4-wire, 2 twisted pair CAT5. It looks like these new Intel cards (82567LM-2) do not support 4 wire CAT5 and WOL.

If you plug-in a 4 wire cable and place the machine off or standby the link light will turn off no matter what NIC settings you apply. If you connect to the same machine with 8 wire Cat5 (no changes) the blinking light is there and WOL works.

We are still having issues with the network drops. If anyone has a fix please reply.

0 Kudos
idata
Employee

OK, I am glad to hear I am not the only one experiencing this. I was pretty sure that it was an overall issue. There must be driver issues. we need to get more info from Intel on this. Dell is clueless. I called and they claimed not to have any report of this. I find it hard to believe.

0 Kudos
mcbsys
Novice

What model Dell switch do you have? Gigabit or 10/100? Managed or unmanaged?

I'm using a new PowerConnect 2824. Since I'm also seeing Netlogon 5719 errors, I found this article which talks about setting Spanning Tree to "portfast" mode:

http://support.microsoft.com/kb/247922

So I went into the switch web interaface and found Switch > Spanning Tree > STP Port Settings > Fast Link and checked that. Not really sure what this means or why "Fast" isn't the default. It seemed to help at first but then the 5719 errors returned. Anyway my current theory is that there is some combination of driver and switch port handshaking and Windows 7 fast-startup processing that isn't happening fast enough.

Not sure if this is a Windows 7 thing or an OptiPlex 960 thing. Two OptiPlex 755s with gigabit ports and Windows XP are not not reporting problems.

Mark Berry

MCB Systems

0 Kudos
idata
Employee

I have a Dell 3348 managed switch. Personally, I think it is a bum driver for the NIC.

0 Kudos
mcbsys
Novice

bbazian,

At one point I uninstalled the NIC driver and on reboot, Win7 automatically re-installed version 10.5.1.0, I guess the Win7 PnP default. Since I was also having the drop-out problems with 11.5.4.0 (the latest from Dell), I am going to try explicitly rolling back to 10.5.1.0 and see if the issue continues. If you can spare a machine to try that on, I'd be interested to compare results.

Mark Berry

MCB Systems
0 Kudos
idata
Employee

I can give that a shot but I know that when I 1st got the computers the driver that shipped with the computer was worse then after I upgraded. The upgrade did make it a bit better as far as disconnects.

0 Kudos
idata
Employee

I rolled a PC back to the MS default install as you did. We will see what happens. It is a PC I do not have in production at this time so I can leave it a connect to it later to see the status.

0 Kudos
mcbsys
Novice

I rolled back to 10.5.1.0 on 1/11 about 6:30pm.

As of 1/12 10:10am, no dropouts.In fact, no messages from e1kexpress at all. Speed is 1.0Gbps.

Mark Berry

MCB Systems

0 Kudos
idata
Employee

So far I too have not seen any drop outs but that can be that the MS driver does not report like the Intel one?? I have not done this on a production machine yet so I do not know if it will cause any issues. On the production machines when I 1st got the machine, AIM kept on disconnecting. That was my 1st clue that there was an issue. I may bite the bullit tomorrow and do this to the production computer.

0 Kudos
idata
Employee

I have the exact same issue, reported in this thread:

/message/80336# 80336 http://communities.intel.com/message/80336# 80336

My believe is that the SIPS functionality disconnects the link because of power saving reasons.

This following datasheet has some nice info regarding the SIPS functionality for the 82567LM:

http://download.intel.com/design/network/datashts/82567.pdf http://download.intel.com/design/network/datashts/82567.pdf

I've opened a case at HP (we're using the 82567 in HP DC7900's) but so far they haven't come up with anything usefull. I think this issue can be resolved if the SIPS feature can be managed through drivers and/or pro set utilties.

By the way, if you install an older driver without SIPS functionality, the link disconnect doesn't appear...If you want I can look up the driver version witch I tested this on. Also, SIPS has to "detect" inactivity. So when you disable the monitor standby setting from the OS power management, SIPS won't kick in. That's my current workaround...

0 Kudos
idata
Employee

Since I rolled back to the MS supplied drivers in Win 7 there have been no disconnects and every time I connect to the machine I no longer see 10MB, I will try on one of the production machines. I agree that it appears to happen more during non activity.

0 Kudos