Processors
Intel® Processors, Tools, and Utilities
14539 Discussions

Simple Question from Nooby upgrading CPU

idata
Employee

Hi everyone, i have a very simple question that I though it would get straight from the Intel community board. I am upgrading my computer from an Intel P4 2.4 Ghz to an Intel P4 3.20E Ghz with Hyperthreading.

My mobo is an ASUS P4P800 SE and i have already checked the ASUS site for compatibility and I have the latest BIOS. All is good.

But, my one question is: Will my BIOS automatically recognize the new CPU and adjust the settings or do I have to manually update the BIOS after I install the new CPU. For example, will the bus speed automatically adjust itself? My motherboard has a bunch of auto features but the manual doesn't say anything about automatically recognizing a new CPU.

Also, is there anything else I should keep in mind for after I install my new CPU?

Any help would be appreciated. Thank you!!!!!!

0 Kudos
5 Replies
RGoul1
Novice

Your motherboard should automatically detect the new CPU, however it is recommended you "Load Optimized Defaults" (or the Asus equivalent) in the BIOS after installing it. Then re-apply any modifications you had (such as boot order, etc).

If the new CPU is only supported by a higher BIOS update than the one currently installed, you will need to update the BIOS BEFORE installing the new CPU.

idata
Employee

Thanks Rob! I hope this works!

0 Kudos
idata
Employee

hay guys i want to know what is the best cpu i can put on my toshiba a300-1g5 laptop i search all over the net without answer can u help me plz

0 Kudos
RGoul1
Novice

That laptop has the Intel GM965 chipset, so it should support up to a T8300 CPU, however I would strongly suggest you contact Toshiba before purchasing a new CPU to confirm compatibility.

For future reference, you should also start a new thread for an unrelated question

0 Kudos
idata
Employee

thanx , i will next time =D

0 Kudos