Wireless
Participate in insightful discussions regarding issues related to Intel® Wireless Adapters and technologies
7368 Discussions

Intel Centrino Wireless-n 2230 displaying Wi-Fi 2 when connecting to networks

WFalt
Beginner

Hello,

I'm having a bit of an issue with my wireless card/interface. First, I'm running Windows 8.1 using the Intel Centrino Wireless-n 2230 card/software on an HP ENVY 17-j092nr laptop. So, I was recently out of town for the holidays and was helping a family member set up their new wireless router they got as a gift, which was a Cisco router (I don't know the model number). There was a bit of an issue setting up the network, so I logged into the router from my personal laptop while it was connected to the internet to find the problem. Everything worked out fine, except now whenever I try to access a network connection, my display says "Wi-Fi 2." I'm not sure how this happened, but I've tried a few things suggested by others:

1) I used Device Manager to uninstall all grayed out objects under the network card I could find, but they all wouldn't uninstall. There are a series of grayed out objects named "WAN Miniport" that won't uninstall.

2) I deleted all my access points, including all connections that had used the Cisco network to connect to the internet.

3) I installed the newest drivers for my wireless card

4) I searched Google and the Intel site and I saw nothing similar to what I'm asking.

Nothing is working. I apologize if I missed a thread that already addresses this, but I'm kind of out of options.

Thanks in advance!

0 Kudos
7 Replies
Jose_H_Intel1
Employee

Is it possible to provide a screenshot of the window where this is displayed?

0 Kudos
WFalt
Beginner

The top image is the Wi-Fi Network Finder screen in Windows 8 that has the "Wi-Fi 2" at the top. When it's viewing other networks, it displays the names correctly.

(BOTTOM IMAGE) However, once the network is joined and you mouse over the wireless network icon in the system tray, it puts a "2" at the end of my network, so it displays as "Hyrule 2" when it should just say "Hyrule." I'm not certain that it's causing connectivity issues, but it's certainly persistent.

I apologize for any poor resolution from the images. Thank you

0 Kudos
tvete
Valued Contributor II

Delete the duplicate network profiles under the "Network and Wireless" page in the Control Panel. As for the Wi-Fi 2, delete the WiFi driver software in the device manager then install the drivers again.

0 Kudos
WFalt
Beginner

I've already deleted all network profiles from my computer except my home network as well as uninstalling all grayed out objects in my Device Manger (those that let me uninstall them). I'll try uninstalling the drivers and reinstalling them to see if that helps

0 Kudos
tvete
Valued Contributor II

When you uninstall the drivers, make sure you keep selecting "delete the driver software" checked until you get the unknown device (Network Adapter) shown in the device manager. Then update the drivers again. If this solution doesn't get rid of the "2" in the "WiFi 2," you have to do a registry delete the name "WiFi" and then renaming "WiFi 2" to "WiFi" in the network connections page. I honestly don't know if this method works for Windows 8.1 but this is how I solve the "wireless network connection" duplicates in Windows 7.

As for the "Hyrule 2," in Windows 7, there's the screenshot below where you can delete network locations aside from network profiles. You'll see your duplicates there. All you have to do is merge the duplicate network to the original network and that should fix it.

0 Kudos
Jose_H_Intel1
Employee

What happens if you use Intel® Proset Software to manage the wireless connection instead of Windows* Wireless Auto Config?

http://www.intel.com/support/wireless/wlan/sb/CS-031157.htm Intel� Wi-Fi Products; User Guide: Intel� PROSet/Wireless WiFi v13.0 (PDF)

0 Kudos
JSims1
Beginner

Hi Faltaman,

The profile you're trying to remove is stored in the Windows Registry.

If you are familiar with regedit, these instructions should help you. If not, please reply with a request for more details.

I've copied and pasted the instructions from this link below:

http://superuser.com/questions/517414/remove-a-known-network-from-windows-8 Superuser.com - networking - Remove a known network from Windows 8 - Super User

Find and delete the registry keys for the unwanted networks under these locations:

HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows NT\CurrentVersion\NetworkList\Nla\Cache\Intranet  HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows NT\CurrentVersion\NetworkList\Profiles  HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows NT\CurrentVersion\NetworkList\Signatures\Unmanaged

Note:

The known networks described above are separate from wireless user profiles, which store SSIDs, WPA2 passwords, etc. The UI for managing wireless user profiles is also gone. These can be wiped clean by removing the wireless adapter from Device Manager (Windows will restore it fresh) or removed individually with

netsh wlan delete profile "profile name"

0 Kudos