Processors
Intel® Processors, Tools, and Utilities
14512 Discussions

How to improve performance of single-threaded application

GUnde1
Beginner

HI Guys,

I have an application which is an old 32-bit app, it's called MT4 (or MetaTrader 4). As part of the functionality, you run back testing on the stock/currency markets. On my brother's i7 3.0ghz laptop, these tests take around 24 hours.

I have built a nice new i7 3.6ghz system but the software is telling me it will take around 50 hours to complete. I know this is a very old app, but i thought that getting a better CPU, with a better core speed, would make it run better than my brothers PC.

Please can you guys help me to speed up and tweak the CPU to make my app faster? I know it doesn't utilise the other cores, so I thought about turning off hyper threading, do you think this would help? Is there anything else I can do to improve the performance of this old app?

Thanks in advance.

Gary

0 Kudos
3 Replies
Kevin_M_Intel
Employee

Hello Chacarous,

The options here to increase the app performance is making sure Intel® Speed Step is enabled as well the Turbo Boost at the BIOS level.

Intel® Hyper Threading Technology will use more virtual threads to improve performance but disabling may not perform any change on performance.

Kevin M

GUnde1
Beginner

HI Kevin,

thank you for getting back to me. I am running Win7 Ultimate and i've checked those two things and both seem to be enabled/on Auto. Do you have any other ideas? I don't understand how my brother's laptop, which is a slower i7 processor is capable of much quick app-processing time (like three times as quick).

Any further advice from anyone on the forum?

Thanks,

Gary
0 Kudos
Kevin_M_Intel
Employee

The Intel® Core i7 processor should be running fine the applications on the system but the completion time for that process may vary depending on the background services and apps you have.

If you think the processor is not running as it should be you can contact our support center (if you have a desktop processor version). Here is our contact information:

http://www.intel.com/p/en_US/support/contactsupport http://www.intel.com/p/en_US/support/contactsupport

0 Kudos