Employee

HI,

Need some advice, system specs;

i7 930

Seasonic x900 ss900 hp 900 w power unit

Asus P6T SE

6 GB corsiar XMS 3

2 x hd5870 sapphire graphics cards

I can't understand why cpu-z shows my system with 2 cores and 4 threads, when in all the reviews it shows as 4 cores and 8 threads. The latter is what i would expect.

I also wondered if it might be the power unit, but it is capable of over 1000w.

Also, I ran the Intel processor ID utilty and the report/expected came up as 4 cores.

Any help / suggestions would be greatly appreciated.

Adam

Jersey, UK

0 Kudos
7 Replies
idata
Employee

How many cores do you see in teh task manager, and how many processors in device manager?

0 Kudos
idata
Employee

Hi,

Firstly, thanks for the reply.

It's all a bit strange - It shows 4 cores in task manager with the 'Intel' checker (From their website) showing that everthing is OK. I tried Intel live chat, and all the lady could say was that the motherboard was broken. I've heard nothing back from Asus at all.

The bios was only showing an option of two cores, even after flashing to the latest version - Reading around the various websites everybody was saying that there should be an option showing up to 4.

I half wondered if it was something to do with the fact I've moved away from an Asus p5t deluxe (SLI) set up to Asus P6T Crossfire, but I've been careful to remove all the Nvidea drivers.

I can't remember what it said in device manager, but I think it was eight - I'm sure I checked that the driver installed correctly for each item.

Anyway, I've sent the board and chip back for replacement, so I'll see what happens next.

One question, other people have mentioned totally reinstalling windows 7, but I've been reluctant as I'm a flight simulator fanatic and reloading all the add ons would be a nightmare?

Cheers

Rodge

UK

0 Kudos
idata
Employee

I half wondered if it was something to do with the fact I've moved away from an Asus p5t deluxe (SLI) set up to Asus P6T Crossfire, but I've been careful to remove all the Nvidea drivers.

Well thats not a SLI setup the Asus p5t deluxe never got support by NVIDIA.

One question, other people have mentioned totally reinstalling windows 7, but I've been reluctant as I'm a flight simulator fanatic and reloading all the add ons would be a nightmare?

Yes you will have to reinstall your OS.

0 Kudos
idata
Employee

To be honest i am not actually sure you have or had a problem just because CPUz was reading incorrectly. If you had the correct amount in task manager and device manager then the OS is seeing everyhting ccorrectly

anyways let us know what happens when you ghet the motherboard back.

0 Kudos
idata
Employee

But thats not the correct amount in task manager due to HT so you should see 8 cores in task manager.

0 Kudos
idata
Employee

OOOPSS!!! i read that wrong!!!!im sure yest it said he had 8 in task manager...

0 Kudos
idata
Employee

Hi,

I presume that your question has been replied and there is no problem any more. In this connection, you can use "Ashampoo Core Tuner", in my opinion it gives the good results.

Enjoy......... Good Luck

0 Kudos