cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Win 7 pro 64bit will not install to Intel X25m g2 80gb, help plz

idata
Esteemed Contributor III

This is my first SSD, and the bios sees the drive no problem. Windows 7 pro 64 bit install sees the drive can make a partition on the drive and can remove partion even does the format. however when I click next it says it is unable to install windows 7 on this drive. I tried then to install on a new WD black 1tb and same thing. So even more puzzled now is to why it will not go through to install. MB is a gigabyte xm58 UD7, have the intel i7-930 cpu, Corsair dominator 6gb ram. Any other information on how to get this working would be great.

4 REPLIES 4

idata
Esteemed Contributor III

Well on a hunch of further testing different possible ideas, I found something that did get me to the install for windows 7 pro on my ssd. I had the ssd on a sata 2 port on the gigabyte 2 controller and it just did not want to work as soon as I changed it over to the intel controller sata 2 ports windows was able to use it no problem, should have figured that though as it is an intel product that their controller would work bettter with it. Though some other reviews showed that it worked on the other controllers just as well, so maybe they did not disclose some update to the firmware of the other controller or something. Anyways I hope this might help someone else in the future.

idata
Esteemed Contributor III

I am having this same problem with Intel 120GB SSD and WIn 7 Pro 64bit. I have checked so many forums and done so many suggested items. This is really a bad user experience. New drive new OS, same old low level code issues. Arrrrrgggg

idata
Esteemed Contributor III

OK after reading ther previous authors statement about ports and cables I reaplaced my data cable from foxconn e124936 -b t another maker. And it the install now works. However I reseted the power connecter and noticed it went in a tiny bit. The drive always showed up but perhaps it was a little low in voltage? Well it is working and I changed 2 things. Bottom line, my input to others with this problem reset SATA Power and data at both the mobo end and the disk end and also try replacing the data cable.

idata
Esteemed Contributor III

Windows 7 installer can be fickle at times. I know that if you have USB Thumb drive plugged in during the install, this can sometimes prevent the installer from being able to install the OS on a HDD. It's weird like that.

There should be no issues or real difference installing on a SSD vs HDD though.