Processors
Intel® Processors, Tools, and Utilities
14513 Discussions

Major BigBig Problem

idata
Employee

Ok i have a big problem with my new proccessor.

Ok so i decided to upgrade to a better CPU from the one i have, my old is a Intel Pentium4 duo core 2, 2.16ghz, LGA775 E6400 cpu, the new one i just baught, the one that won't work, is a Intel Core 2 Duo Proccesor, 3ghz, 1333MHz, 6MB LGA775 E8400 proccesor.

So the problem arises here, see i installed this new cpu just right, with thermal and everything, but when i go to turn on the pc, it DOES NOT boot up, screen don't even turn on, and the fan runs as high as it can, it won't even get to the bios or anything, and my diagnostic lights are 1, 3, and 4.

I read that it should work with my pc just fine but what the hell?

Things i have done to try and make this work are as follows

Reset CMOS, made BIOS to default, reinstalled OS, reset battery on motherboard, installed newest BIOS drivers, switched around memory, switched around compnents, and that's all i can think of doing.

My pc specs are

Dell XPS410, Vista Home, Nvidia 8800, 4gigs ram, old proccesor as posted, the motherboard is a Dell OWG855, chipset Intel.

I need to fix this, any help in very appreciated, Thank you.

3 Replies
idata
Employee

Someone? this is a community, am i right?

0 Kudos
idata
Employee

It would be better and faster and do good for you to get the right answer to your questions if you consult the Dell community. Yes your computer uses Intel's chips but that is all there is to it. The system design is Dell.

0 Kudos
idata
Employee

Hello;

Check the list of supported processors for your desktop board, this information usually is posted on the manufacturer website.

Also in order to indeed verify if the processor is defective test it on a different compatible desktop board, this is the list of Intel desktop boards compatible with the E8400 processor

http://processormatch.intel.com/CompDB/SearchResult.aspx?ProcNbr=E8400 http://processormatch.intel.com/CompDB/SearchResult.aspx?ProcNbr=E8400

For more assistance you can also contact Dell.

0 Kudos