Processors
Intel® Processors, Tools, and Utilities
14539 Discussions

Rebuilding my PC using the Core2 Quad QX9650 Extreme processor

idata
Employee

Hi,

I am rebuilding my computer using an MSI G31M3-F V2 (3 Audio Ports) main-board, socket LGA775, 4GB-DDR2 RAM, an Nvidia GT 220 1024MB DDR3 graphics card, Windows 7 Ultimate 64bit operating system. The computer will be used for both video-rendering and 3D design graphics.

The MSI website indicates that the Core2 Quad Q9650 processor ( with the appropriate divers ) will be suitable for the above mentioned main-board.

My question is, will the Core2 Quad QX9650 Extreme processor be suitable to use, if so, will it perform better or faster than the Core2 Quad Q9650 processor?

I have viewed their respective specifications, and note that apart from differences in their advanced technologies, the two processors are quite similar, and the Q9650 is a newer model as opposed to the QX9650 Extreme.

I would welcome and appreciate your input.

Thanking-you in advance.

Mikey12

0 Kudos
3 Replies
idata
Employee

You need to ask MSI.

If it is not on the compatibility list for that board then in theory it is not supported. Even if all the specs are the same, it still may not work, the motherboard board bios need sthat specific CPU microcode to recognise teh CPU correctly.

0 Kudos
idata
Employee

Cpt.Dogfruit, thankyou for your response.

0 Kudos
idata
Employee
0 Kudos