Graphics
Intel® graphics drivers and software, compatibility, troubleshooting, performance, and optimization
20493 Discussions

RAID 1 to RAID 5 migration question

idata
Employee

I have an ICH7 family chipset with 82801GR/GH (at least, according to Windows Vista Home Premium 64bit Control Panel). I currently have two 500Gb SATA drives configured as RAID 1 and want to purchase an additional 650Gb drive to upgrade the RAID to RAID 5 (with a small 150Gb RAID 0 for the page file, temp files, etc). I would like to know if this process is painless... or if I have to build my system from scratch? i.e. When I install the third disk, can I just break the RAID 1 array and then reconfigure the three disks as RAID 5 and the controller will automatically rebuild the data? Do I need to be careful about the order of how I do the configuration? Thanks for any answers!

0 Kudos
1 Reply
Allan_J_Intel1
Employee

Couple of ways to change your RAID 1 and convert to RAID 5

1. Reset disks to non RAID then recreate everything from scratch

2. Install the latest Rapid Storage Technology software and modify volume.

Here are some steps using Storage software

- Main screen go to Manage, then click on Change type, there you can select and modify to RAID 5.

I recommend checking the storage console help for more information

If you need the latest storage console try this link http://downloadcenter.intel.com/Detail_Desc.aspx?agr=Y&ProdId=2101&DwnldID=18859&lang=eng