Server Products
Data Center Products including boards, integrated systems, Intel® Xeon® Processors, RAID Storage, and Intel® Xeon® Processors
4761 Discussions

Intel Serverboard S5520HCT and Windows Hyper-V 2008 R2 NIC SLOOOOW

idata
Employee

Hi All,

Having an issue with this board and the onboard NIC's - 82576.

Fresh install of OS we see data transfer of ~100M

Add roll Hyper-V (do not select to create a virtual switch)

reboot

Do a transfer again and network speed drops to ~5M

Remove Roll Hyper-V

Reboot

Speed back to normal

Thing tried when Hyper-V roll added;

Disbale selective/all offloading

Disbale flow control

disbale chimney in netsh and or RSS

Play with buffers settings

We have 3 new servers all with the same issue any ideas please?

Thanks

Michael.

0 Kudos
4 Replies
idata
Employee

Have you tried setting your NIC's to 1GB Full Auto?

0 Kudos
idata
Employee

Hi Patrick,

Yes the NIC's are setup for Gg Full duplex- using auto neg on both cards (all 6 ports) and Brocade Fastiron Super X switch.

I have also disabled in Windows all NIC's before adding Hyper-V and then rebooting and reenabled 1 NIC - same result.

We do have Four other Win2008 R2 servers running Hyper-V fine - these are an older gen Intel Server

These older gen boards are - BIOS Version/Date Intel Corporation S5000.86B.12.00.0098.062320091136, 23/06/2009

0 Kudos
DSilv11
Valued Contributor III

A number of folks have reported Hyper-V issues related to this generation product.

A fix is expected very shortly. (BIOS update. Version number not available till it completes testing)

One work-around seems to be to run 32G or less of ram.

0 Kudos
idata
Employee

Hello Doc_SilverCreek,

I have taken our 16GB of RAM - this leaves 32GB in the system. By doing this it appears to have doubled the network throughput.

This is still under half of the throughput when Hyper-V has been removed though.

As we are a Intel Premier Channel Partner we will also continue to push our contacts at Intel to see if this is what is happerning with this board.

We also have a case open with Microsoft - so I will post the finds to this issue when we get to the bottom of it.

Thanks for your help here.

0 Kudos