Graphics
Intel® graphics drivers and software, compatibility, troubleshooting, performance, and optimization
20494 Discussions

HDMI Not Working Windows 10

JHans14
Beginner

There have been many posts concerning this issue in the Microsoft Community forum; your help is greatly appreciated.

The computer I'm assisting a client with is a Gateway SX2865 desktop that came preloaded with Windows 8 OEM. They had a TV hooked up to it via HDMI with no issues. The client upgraded from 8 to 8.1 last month, to which they lost HDMI output and has existed with the Windows 10 upgrade applied last week.

I've tried many fixes, including completely removing the display driver (any software, driver files, registry entries), reverting to using the old Windows 7 driver provided by Gateway's support site, and using the latest graphics driver for Windows 10 (including the version acquired by Windows Update).

None of these fixes provided a working solution.

The HDMI port doesn't seem to detect the TV display, as when it is connected, powered on, and selected to the correct HDMI input, the computer does not show an additional display. The only display shown in Device Manager and Display Properties is the Acer monitor connected via VGA.

This computer does NOT utilize discreet or dedicated graphics. It only uses the integrated graphics provided by the processor (Intel HD graphics).

There are no driver issues within Device Manager, all are up to date and reporting to work correctly. The chipset, HDMI audio, Intel MEI, and other devices were updated using 3DP Chip.

When using the Windows key + P combination using any graphics driver (the base driver, the Win7 x64 driver, the Win10 driver updated through WinUpdate) shows no display output modes. An error message says cannot project to a second display, there may be an issue with your current graphics adapter or driver software.

I have also had the client disconnect the Acer monitor via VGA and leave the TV connected via HDMI as the primary display. The computer still does not detect this display even as primary/single, as the TV shows no signal detected, and the device manager shows no inputs detected for monitor (I was remotely connected to the client's computer thus could still see everything "on-screen")

Anyone have any luck with Windows 10 and HDMI output with integrated Intel HD graphics (specifically from a Celeron or Pentium dual core processor?)

The chipset is Intel Express H61.

Any input / assistance is greatly appreciated in advance.

0 Kudos
8 Replies
idata
Employee

Hi,

HDMI worked for me with a I7-4771 HD 4600 Graphic and an EIZO 27 inch monitor. It was not perfect, because the monitor only accepted 30 Hz refreshing. I'm using the W10 Microsoft driver. No gaming, no films. I'm now using Displayport, because this is better supported by my monitor. If your TV has a DP attachment, maybe you should give it a try. HD TV screens should normally not have any problems with the horizontal resolution of 1080p. All in all, the simple Microsoft graphics driver gave me better results with windows 10 than the Intel "monster" editions.

0 Kudos
JHans14
Beginner

Thank you for your reply, Jorgen.

I've had the computer on the stock Microsoft driver (standard VGA graphics adapter) and with the updated video driver from Windows Update (installed as Intel HD Graphics). Both do not even show the TV monitor showing up in Device Manager, Devices & Printers, nor Graphics/Display Properties.

Which Microsoft driver are you using, and does your TV show in Device Manager / Devices & Printers / Display Properties before you switched the Hz?

0 Kudos
idata
Employee

Hi,

this is what I learned during the HDMI/Displayport experimenting (I'm using an ASUS Z91-A 3.1 motherboard and the W10 MS "Basic Graphics Display Adapter" driver version is 10.0.10240.16384 dated 21.06.2006(!!)):

1. When powering on the PC, the monitor must be on before switching on the PC. Otherwise the monitor is not recognized and the adapter is disabled. Monitor stays black and get no signals from PC
  2. When the monitor has no DDC, there is no entry for the monitor in the device manager.
  3. MS driver switches off Sleep-mode handling
  4. HDMI to DVI dongle worked but only at 30 Hz vertical scanning.
  5. Latest Intel driver cannot handle W10 Start-Flyout and other graphics with continuous rewrites.

I can live now with a Displayport attachment of my EIZO monitor using MS driver. But it's far from being a solid and simple solution.

0 Kudos
IUman
Honored Contributor II

Hello bavmotorwerkz,

I understand that your Gateway SX2865 desktop comes with the Intel® Pentium® Processor G630.

In that case, please be aware that this processor does not support Windows 10 and you might have instability problems when is installed. You can see more information here:

http://www.intel.com/support/graphics/sb/CS-034343.htm?wapkw=cs-034343 Graphics Drivers — Supported Operating Systems

According with the specifications of the Gateway computer it has HDMI and VGA; I would recommend trying different HDMI cables to see if that is causing the problem and trying updating the computer BIOS.

Regards!

0 Kudos
JHans14
Beginner

I apologize, the "Microsoft Basic Display Adapter" is the driver I've used, not "standard VGA graphics adapter".

0 Kudos
rsonk
New Contributor I

I suggest you to download the build 10130 ISO and burn it to a disk or USB stick. If you don't have many programs installed, a clean install might be a good choice. You may also check the manufacturer's website for updated versions of the drivers. Alternatively, you may also try to install the latest version of the driver in compatibility mode to check the status.

Solution 1 – Rollback to the older driver

Open Device Manager and find the driver that is giving you trouble. Right click it and choose Rollback driver.

This will install the previous version of the driver. Sometimes, it's better to use the default driver in order to avoid compatibility issues. To use the default driver you'll need to uninstall the current one you're using and the default one will install itself. To uninstall the driver, do this:

1. Open Device manager and find the buggy driver.

2. Right click it and choose Uninstall.

3. Check Delete the driver software for this device and click OK.

4. Restart your computer.

Solution 2 – Update your drivers

Sometimes all you need to fix these issues are the latest drivers. Just visit your graphic card or motherboard manufacturer's website and download the latest drivers.

If you're using a laptop, maybe it's better to download drivers frohttp://goo.gl/HBR5JL m the laptop manufacturer instead. We also have to mention that in certain cases old drivers can work better, so if the latest drivers aren't working for you, follow the steps from previous solution to uninstall them and download older version of the drivers.

Solution 3 – Install drivers in compatibility mode

Windows 10 still has compatibility issues with drivers, so sometimes it's best that you install them in compatibility mode.

1. Right click the driver setup file and choose Properties.

2. Then go to Compatibility tab.

3. Check Run this program in compatibility mode and choose Windows 7 from the list.

4. Click Apply and OK.

5. Run the setup file.

Solution 4 – Set your secondary display

If you're using HDMI to connect a second display try setting it over at NVIDIA Control Panel, or if you use AMD graphics use its control Panel instead. The process is the same for both cards.

1. Open Nvidia Control Panel.

2. Go to Set up multiple displays.

3. If your HDMI connected display isn't showing try checking and unchecking the other ones on the list.

IUman
Honored Contributor II

Thank you richardsonkane75 for your contribution on this thread, it is very much appreciated.

Regards,

Ivan

0 Kudos
EKamu
Beginner

I was experiencing a similar case on my asus S551l once I did a fresh install of windows 10 my HDMI has not been working. After months of trial and error this is what I did that finally got it to work

Step 1

Download the Windows 8.1 VGA driver from ASUS

Step 2

Uninstalled the current Intel Driver, this will result to the default microsoft basic graphics adapter

Step 3

Select the 'Update Driver Software' and select the 'Browse my computer for driver software'

Step 4

Browse to the location of the unzipped folder with the driver, for me its 'C:\Users\xxxx\Downloads\Compressed\VGA_Intel_Win81_64_VER101810330802'

Step 5

Press Next and wait for the installation of the driver, after its done installing your computers HDMI should be restored.

Hope this helps