Processors
Intel® Processors, Tools, and Utilities
14533 Discussions

Is base processor frequency still an important spec since we have Turbo Boost now?

UGült
Novice

I am buying a new laptop. Trying to decide on last two models which are identical, except that one has http://ark.intel.com/compare/85212,84984 i5-5200U vs the other has i5-5250U. Since I won't be using the computer for graphically intensive work, the only relevant difference to me seems like the base frequency. 5200 has a base frequency of 2.2GHz whereas 5250 has a base frequency of 1.6GHz. However, both have the same max turbo boost frequency. So I wonder, if I get the one with 5250, will I observe a worse performance? Or does the turbo boost kicks in immediately when its needed and hence, I don't observe a lower performance? Thank you for your time.

Regards

5 Replies
AP16
Valued Contributor III

The Turbo Boost is a (mostly) single-threaded application acceleration. If you are using multi-threaded apps mostly or integrated graphics, the base frequency is probably all you will have, especially in mobile solutions, where power drain and temperatures are always important. Usual desktop work unlikely benefit from TB (need a sustained load to trigger boost), and even 1.6 GHz should be enough for it.

UGült
Novice

Thanks. To clarify, you stated that the base frequency is probably all I will have, especially in mobile solutions. So this directs me to the processor with higher base frequency. But at the same time, you said that 1.6GHz should be enough for usual desktop work. Then I feel like the processor with lower frequency will be enough. To clarify my usage load, I will use my laptop primarily for coding. Hence usually an IDE will be open, alongside a Google Chrome window with 15-20 tabs, and occasionally with a download going on at the same time. I know this scene is mostly memory intensive but what kind of processing power this setup will need? Will I be able to go as seamlessly with 1.6GHz as I would go with 2.2GHz?

0 Kudos
AP16
Valued Contributor III

Do you compile programs on laptop? Cause compilers are mostly single-threaded and really benefit from TB (and frequency in general).

0 Kudos
UGült
Novice

Yes I do. Then I guess that in a CPU intensive work such as compiling, turbo will kick in and I won't see a difference. But what about daily use like putting together a text document, browsing internet or downloading something? Will there be a difference if I do these tasks together?

0 Kudos
AP16
Valued Contributor III

Just consider the bubget: if you can afford faster base frequency CPU, buy it. Its worth on second market in notebook afterlife.

0 Kudos