Graphics
Intel® graphics drivers and software, compatibility, troubleshooting, performance, and optimization
20602 Discussions

I set a custom resolution on HD 4000 but cannot find or apply it.

idata
Employee

Hey everyone, I have a question for you. I have a Lenovo Yoga and it's native resolution is 1600x900, but I want to set it lower to 1280x720 for when I play Guild Wars 2. See, I run the game in 1280x720 and sometimes when I alt+tab out of the game the PC remains at that resolution. The reason why I want this resolution for my PC outside of the game is because resuming or starting the game from this resolution results in a noticeable increase in performance. I'm assuming this is because there is no resolution scaling needed on the HD 4000's part. Strangely though, sometimes when I tab out the PC goes back to 1600x900. It seems very random.

I will obviously be using 1600x900 for everything other than Guild Wars 2, I just need this resolution to start the game from for increased performance.

What I'm confused about is setting custom resolutions. For some reason my Yoga does not have the option to display in 1280x720 without the game's interference. It's kind of hard to explain - when I go to select different resolutions sometimes after playing the game, there are more options. I created a custom resolution for 1280x720 so that the game will run better right from the get go and so I wouldn't have to almost trick the computer into showing me more resolution options. I created this resolution in the custom resolution settings area of the Intel Graphics Properties, yet I've come to a brick wall on what to do next. The custom resolution is not showing up anywhere either in the Windows or the HD 4000 control panel.

I know this PC is capable of displaying in that resolution, but I don't understand why the HD 4000 control panel isn't letting me apply that resolution I just created. It simply isn't showing up anywhere.

0 Kudos
4 Replies
idata
Employee

I have the same issue regarding custom resolution. No problem creating a custom 1280x720 resolution but it does not show anywhere to be activated.

0 Kudos
Fred_D_Intel
Employee

Hi Kyle and Bob,

If the resolution does not appear available then there is a chance the refresh rate or other graphics setting may not be supported by the monitor. I recommend contacting the manufacturer of the computer in order to check if you need to set additional graphics settings besides resolution to make it work.

This link has more information about custom modes http://www.intel.com/support/graphics/sb/CS-029478.htm http://www.intel.com/support/graphics/sb/CS-029478.htm

Thanks!

0 Kudos
idata
Employee

Since 1280x720p works just fine on the same PC/monitor using Windows 7, I would not expect it to be monitor related. I have tried both 2 regular monitors and a 720p flatscreen tv and Windows 8 with this issue but no problem using Windows 7.

0 Kudos
NICHOLAS_F_Intel
Employee

Hi Kyle,

Can you clarify something for me real quick? In the GW2 game settings menu, does the 1280x720p resolution not show up for you in game? If so, are you saying that you are experiencing noticeable performance improvement by launching the game from a desktop setting of 1280x720, playing the game in 1280x720p, and then (mid-play) changing your desktop resolution back to its native? Is this performance increase noticeable in terms of FPS? (You can check FPS in game by hitting F11 and looking in the bottom right corner of the settings menu).

Thanks,

-Nic

0 Kudos