Graphics
Intel® graphics drivers and software, compatibility, troubleshooting, performance, and optimization
20498 Discussions

OpenGL Direct State Access not supported by HD Graphics 3000/4000 - Haswell?

STeaz
Beginner

Our Flight Simulator Application requires OpenGL Direct State Access extensions function support. OpenGL Direct State Access extensions are not supported by Sandy Bridge/Ivy Bridge HD Graphics 3000/4000.

Will OpenGL Direct State Access extensions be supported by the Haswell Integrated Graphics solution?

0 Kudos
22 Replies
Fred_D_Intel
Employee

Hi Stewart Teaze,

I recommend waiting until the product is officially released. We cannot provide information about products that have not been released to the market yet.

Thanks!

0 Kudos
STeaz
Beginner

When will Haswell be released to the market?

If OpenGL Direct State Access extensions aren't supported by Haswell, how do I "petition" Intel to get these features supported in their series of low-current uPs with advanced embedded graphics capabilities?

0 Kudos
Fred_D_Intel
Employee

Hi Stewart Teaze,

Haswell is planned to be released on June 4, 2013. You can check this link for more information http://newsroom.intel.com/docs/DOC-3743 http://newsroom.intel.com/docs/DOC-3743.

Thanks for the feedback about OpenGL Direct State Access extensions.

0 Kudos
STeaz
Beginner

Now that Haswell has been released, can Intel state whether or not the OpenGL Direct State Access extensions are supported by the Haswell Integrated Graphics solution?
0 Kudos
Kevin_M_Intel
Employee

Hello Stewart,

I am afraid to say that the OpenCL Direct State Access is not supported in Haswell processor. However, I will make sure this comment reaches the proper department for future considerations.

0 Kudos
vA
Beginner

I'm disappointed as we too were expecting this on the next OpenGL driver release. I didn't voice originally as I had the expectation this would be in this driver release, as the original post indicated. BTW, You did type OpenCL, we are not talking about OpenCL, but direct state with OpenGL (I'm not 100% sure if that was a typo on your end).

0 Kudos
Kevin_M_Intel
Employee

Hello V,

I am sorry for the inconvenience; I meant OpenGL Direct state access.

0 Kudos
STeaz
Beginner

How about with the Haswell "high end" processors with Iris GT3e graphics - is OpenGL Direct State Access extensions still not supported? (After all, Intel's use of the name "Iris" for its high-end graphics offerings, is supposed to conjure up connections with SGI's old IrisGL (what OpenGL was before it was an open standard), so you would think Iris GT3e graphics would do a better job at supporting OpenGL features).

0 Kudos
Kevin_M_Intel
Employee

Hi Stewart Teaze,

Sorry for the long delay. Based on my deep research, this feature is currently not supported on Haswell and at this point it's implementation in the driver is not planned.

At the same time, we are seeing a growing interest for this feature, so we're pushing for it to be implemented but we do not have any ETA yet.

0 Kudos
CMair
Beginner

I'd like to put in my own STRONG recommendation that Intel add support for OpenGL DirectState. This lack of support makes the Intel GPU useless for a number of important software applications.

0 Kudos
NN_a2
Beginner

I have registered for the sole purpose of expressing my STRONG interest in this extension being added to the HD3000/4000.

The lack of this extension makes pretty much all of the OpenGL applications I use useless on HD4000 and, by extension, makes HD4000 useless for me. That is a shame since HD4000 is more than enough performance-wise for my needs. Unfortunately, the applications I use simply won't run.

I'm looking forward to this extension being supported sooner rather than later.

0 Kudos
Kevin_M_Intel
Employee

Thanks for the feedback on this matter. I will forward this information to the corresponding department.

0 Kudos
NN_a2
Beginner

Hi!

I see that the most recent driver adds the support for this extension. However, the driver requires at least HD 4200. Are there plans to add this support to at least HD 4000?

0 Kudos
ROBERT_U_Intel
Employee

@ Stewart, OpenGL DirectState is purely a SW feature, but full support of Direct State Access was enabled only on the Intel HD Graphics driver 15.36.x for Haswell. So this feature could be ported to Intel HD 3000. We are looking at the possibility of adding it to the Intel HD 4000 drivers 15.33.x.

Here are the links to the latest 15.36.3.3907 drivers with support for this feature.

64 bit https://downloadcenter.intel.com/Detail_Desc.aspx?DwnldID=24245&lang=eng&ProdId=3720 Intel® Download Center

32 bit https://downloadcenter.intel.com/Detail_Desc.aspx?DwnldID=24246&lang=eng&ProdId=3720 Intel® Download Center

Thanks

Robert

0 Kudos
idata
Employee

@Robert_U Its good to hear that the feature is also coming to the HD 4000.Will it be bundled up with the next driver for the HD 4000?And if you can could you please give a ETA(like next week or....)

Thanks,

Hary

0 Kudos
ROBERT_U_Intel
Employee

@ The Defalt, Unfortunately I do not know what the schedule to adding the support for HD4000 would be. I also need to point out that it is only being looked at right now for support of this feature. If support is added I will post an update to this thread.

Thanks

Robert

0 Kudos
idata
Employee

Okay,im glad that its being looked on.But,Robert,(a little off topic)the driver support for the HD 4000 will still continue,right?would you be able to tell when the normal driver for the HD 4000 be released?pardon me but its already 3 months.

Thanks,

Hary

0 Kudos
Kevin_M_Intel
Employee

We are constantly checking for improvements for our products and all feedback we get from the communities and other lines of support is very important for us.

We do not have right now an ETA for a driver release but once it is online we will post it on the community and we will let the customers know about it.

Kevin M

0 Kudos
vauti
Beginner

Still waiting. I'm not sure why this is taking years. The Intel HD3000 I don't care much about, but I would your HD4000 is more than capable to support DirectState, as its part of the latest OpenGL spec anyways.

0 Kudos
NN_a2
Beginner

Yeah, well, it's been another 6 months now. I am a very patient person, but every patience has its limits. Can we get a more precise answer instead of the standard PR bullsh*t "We will tell you when it's ready"?. Seriously, people are waiting for this extension for, like, 8 years now, Are you going to do it, or are you simply taking the "We don't care about supporting that hardware anymore and if you were stupid enough to pay for it, then poor you" approach?

Can we get an honest answer here? Is it really too much to ask for?

Very frustrated,

N/a-N/a

0 Kudos