Processors
Intel® Processors, Tools, and Utilities
14403 Discussions

i7-3770 will not run with more than one memory slot filled

idata
Employee

i7-3770 CPU is compatible with the Gigabyte GA-H77M-D3H motherboard.

Crucial 16GB Kit 2x 8GB Sport DDR3-1600 BLS8G3D1609DS1S00 is guaranteed by Crucial to work in this motherboard.

The computer will only boot with one memory slot filled.

I have tried with another16GB set of Corsair XMS3 CMX16GX3M4A1333C9 and the story is the same.

The computer will only boot with one memory slot filled.

Both sets of memory are good.

The CPU is good.

The motherboard is good and has the latest BIOS. A beta even.

I am so frustrated. I would appreciate any help.

0 Kudos
4 Replies
idata
Employee

Thank you for the information. There are no compatibility issues; I would recommend checking in BIOS if the XMP (Extreme Memory Profile) is enabled on the Performance Memory Profile options.

Normally, there are some requirements to work as a dual channel memory configuration. For example, the memory sticks should be installed only on the blue memory slots on the motherboard. It will be necessary to confirm with the manufacturer how to install the memory in this case and confirm that the memory slot is not defective.

0 Kudos
idata
Employee

Thank you for your help. I am aware of the methods for installing memory, but please take nothing for granted here.

I started with an i5-2500 with an Intel DP67DE and the 16 GB set of Corsair XMS3 CMX16GX3M4A1333C9 mentioned in my first post. That setup ran with absolutely no problems at all. For over a year.

For some reason I upgraded to the i7-3700 and an Intel DH67GD motherboard and now I cannot run more than one memory stick at a time. With either the Corsair or the Crucial memory I mentioned above. The Gigabyte board and Crucial memory were purchased in the hope that a different motherboard and memory would work with the I7-3700.

Kind of complicated, and real stupid to throw money at the problem but I want the i7 to work.

I am now broke and can't afford to be shot-gunning this problem anymore. The specs show the memory should work with the i7 and the DH67GD, right?

I appreciate your answering my post.

0 Kudos
JBish3
New Contributor II

Hi typoo, first clearly mention your issue, are you facing issue "/message/185431# 185431 i7-3770 will not run with more than one memory slot filled" in DH67GD or GA-H77M-D3H .

Because iam also having one machine of mine , DH67GD- 32 GB RAM (4x 8 GB Hynix 1600 MHz) and it is working fine.

Note : If possible could you perform below mentioned scenarios:

1. Try to fill 4 memory slot .. and check if display is coming or not ..

Also refer TPS of this mbd , page 18 , ur ram is 1Gbx64 , but for 8GB they are giving 4 gbx512 double sided.

Link for TPS ->http://downloadmirror.intel.com/19485/eng/DH67GD_DH67BL_TechProdSpec04.pdf http://downloadmirror.intel.com/19485/eng/DH67GD_DH67BL_TechProdSpec04.pdf

regards,

J.Bisht

0 Kudos
idata
Employee

Thank you Jitendra.

I feel a little sheepish.

Focusing on the Intel DH67GD motherboard (since the Gigabyte board has been returned)-

The Crucial 16GB Kit 2x 8GB Sport DDR3-1600 BLS8G3D1609DS1S00 would not boot on this board in any combination of two sticks in any slots. Three short beeps indicating a memory issue. One of either stick an any slot and it booted fine. Since the board is only rated to use DDR3-1333 I guess this is to be expected. Memory returned and lesson learned.

Back to the original set of four 4 GB Corsair XMS3 CMX16GX3M4A1333C9-

Turns out one of the memory sticks will not let the machine boot (three short beeps again) in any combination in any slot with any of the other sticks. It will boot the machine fine by itself.

This set ran great for over a year with an i5-2500 processor, but that is history.

The computer is running quite happily with three sticks, and I think 12 GB of RAM should be enough for anybody, right?

I thank Jitendra and Alvaro_Intel for taking the time to try to help.

0 Kudos