Graphics
Intel® graphics drivers and software, compatibility, troubleshooting, performance, and optimization
20603 Discussions

Overview table of supported OpenGL versions?

idata
Employee

Hello everyone 🙂

Where can I find out about OpenGL 3.x support on the different Intel GMA and HD graphics models?

I'm currently evaluating use of OpenGL 3 technology for a company project and need to figure if our customers are prepared as far as their hardware is concerned. Many of them use computers with integrated intel graphics only.

For instance it seems like models from Intel HD 2000 onwards seem to support 3.0, but does it depend on the driver revision? If so, when were the appropriate drivers released? Were there any OpenGL 3 compatible drivers for any of the GMA graphics?

I really have a hard time getting reliable information and creating a bit of an overview, and neither Wikipedia nor the intel website have helped a lot so far - I'd appreciate if someone could point me to some resources on the matter.

Thanks a lot,

Bert

0 Kudos
7 Replies
DArce
Valued Contributor III

Hello,

You can refer to the following article for a matrix of features on Intel® Graphics Media Accelerator and Intel® HD Graphics controllers:

http://www.intel.com/support/graphics/sb/CS-033757.htm http://www.intel.com/support/graphics/sb/CS-033757.htm

Starting from Intel® HD Graphics 2000 there is support for OpenGL 3.0, and the only requirement is having the latest video driver for that controller. You may refer to your Original Equipment Manufacturer or motherboard manufacturer to obtain the latest release for your system.

idata
Employee

Thanks a lot Diego, that's pretty close to what I was looking for. Very helpful!

One question remains: There are a number of Intel HD Graphics controllers that are just referred to by OEMs as "Intel HD graphics". Those seem to differ based on the CPU (or microarchitecture) used in the respective computer. I read somewhere that for instance "Intel HD Graphics" on a Nehalem architecture chipset is not compatible with OpenGL 3. How can I tell those apart, for instance by looking at the CPU used in the machine?

What I mean is, is there an easy way to discriminate, maybe something like this:

- Core 2 Duo CPU with Intel HD - not compatible

- Core ix CPU from model ... to model... with Intel HD - not compatible

- Core ix CPU from model ... onwards - compatible

Thanks again,

Bert

0 Kudos
DArce
Valued Contributor III

Good question Bert.

I believe that the Intel® HD Graphics and its features would depend on the technology behind it according to the processor family and architecture (Ivy Bridge (3rd Gen), Sandy Bridge (2nd Gen) or Arrandale (1st Gen)).

However, let me double check on this and get back to you.

Thanks for your patience.

0 Kudos
DArce
Valued Contributor III

I have confirmed that the OpenGL, DirectX, and OpenCL versions will follow and depend on the generation of the processor (Arrandale, Sandy Bridge, Ivy Bridge), regardless of whether they are core or Intel® Pentium or Celeron processors.

So, in that case a Pentium processor with Intel® HD Graphics part of the Ivy Bridge platform will support OpenGL 4.0, DirectX 11 & OpenCL 1.1, the same as a processor that features Intel® HD Graphics 4000.

0 Kudos
idata
Employee

Thanks so much Diego, that was helpful again.

In addition, I also found a good list of Intel Core-i-CPUs and their respective graphics units on Wikipedia.

It suggests that all CPUs based on the Westmere architecture still use Intel GMA or GMA HD and thus don't support OpenGL 3 (if I got that right).

Everything released on the Sandy or Ivy bridge seems to have at least the "HD Graphics" or even "HD Graphics 2000" and higher. This to me would mean they all do support OpenGL3 if latest drivers are installed, right?

Here's the chart, the page is in German, but the table is mostly numbers anyways 🙂

https://de.wikipedia.org/wiki/Liste_der_Intel-Core-i-Prozessoren Liste der Intel-Core-i-Prozessoren – Wikipedia

Have a nice weekend!

Bert

0 Kudos
DArce
Valued Contributor III

Basically,

if the processor is part of IvyBridge it will support OpenGL 4.0

if it is Sandy Bridge, it will feature OpenGL 3.1

And if it is Clarkdale it supports OpenGL 2.1

To check the processor family and model of the video controller integrated, you can refer to ark.intel.com

The processor family will be posted in the right side as "Product formerly..."

0 Kudos
powerarmour
Valued Contributor II

Bert Digleitner wrote:

Were there any OpenGL 3 compatible drivers for any of the GMA graphics?

Yes, the current GMA 3600/3650 drivers support OpenGL 3.0

0 Kudos