Graphics
Intel® graphics drivers and software, compatibility, troubleshooting, performance, and optimization
20456 Discussions

I can't connect my new laptop to my TV's using the VGA port. Does the Intel HD4000 video card support S-Video out?

idata
Employee

I had to buy a new laptop. It came with an Intel HD4000 video card. I can't connect the new computer to either of my TV's using the VGA port.

The new computer and newer Digital HDTV work ok using the HDMI ports. I can watch Netflix on the TV while working on my laptop by connecting the 2 displays in extended mode. However, I can't get the newer TV and new laptop to connect using the VGA cable and ports.

My old laptop had an S-video port, and it worked with my old Sony Trinitron which also has an S-video connection (but no HDMI or VGA port). I've been able to get a bad black and white triple image of the Windows logo on the old TV using display 1 & 2 in extended mode, so apparently some type of signal is being generated.

Does the Intel HD4000 video card support S-video out via the VGA port? If not, will a converter take care of the problem?

0 Kudos
4 Replies
idata
Employee

A VGA to SVIDEO converter will display video but you'll need to set the resolution going to that display port way down (720x480 max I believe) as S-VIDEO is only 480i capable. (Technically 576i but that's an odd resolution for most PCs) Also be sure you set the display to 4:3 ratio and not the widescreen 16:9 or the image will appear off. The reason you are seeing the B&W lines is because it is able to display at slightly higher levels of B&W than color (S-Video splits color and b/w apart). You mentioned you were able to get an image, were you already using a converter or how exactly was the old Sony connected? It might be as simple as lowering your resolution to it. Good luck and hopefully that helps.

idata
Employee

MrHappy -

Thanks for the quick reply. I just had a VGA to S-video cable connected - no converter - just direct out of the computer to the TV's. I can't see the exact resolution settings at the moment because I don't have either TV connected. However, in the case of the older TV, the image was seen using one resolution above the lowest. The lowest only produced snow and lines, no image. The resolutions higher than the second lowest setting only gave me snow and lines as well, no image. There was no image on the newer TV using the VGA ports on the TV and computer with the cable only, again...no converter...no signal was even recognized and there was a "no signal" message on the screen. The converter I ordered has buttons for different settings....we'll see if that helps when it gets here in the next day or two. I'm now checking both TV user manuals on-line for their tech specs. Your answer was over my head but useful. I'm not a tech guy but an experienced user and the info you provided helped me learn about the difference between interlaced and progressive formats.

Message was edited by: Larry

MH - Want to thank you again for your input. Your comments prompted me to more investigating with the newer TV ( a Vizio HDTV) and I found out what was wrong with the VGA cable. I discovered the remote control had HDMI, Comp, AV, and TV functions, but no RGB button. However, when I also looked on the side of the TV, there was a button that said "input". That button brought up a different menu on the screen and RGB was located there. I selected the RGB setting and fired up the computer. The TV and computer are now talking to each other and I can extend the screen like I wanted. I'll mess with it a little more and see if the S-video/component side will work now that I have verified that a good signal can be generated out the VGA plug on the new computer. The converter box will probably do the trick if a direct S-video cable from the computer to the TV won't give me a picture. Thank you!!

0 Kudos
idata
Employee

Good deal, glad to hear it's at least displaying video for you. Hopefully the svideo connection is just a matter of your converter and/or a resolution setting. I'd think the direct cable should work if given the correct resolution but either way, progress is progress and if my comments were helpful I'm glad and you're certainly welcome!

0 Kudos
idata
Employee

Success! The "sort answer", at least in the case of my new HP ProBook 4540s with the Intel HD 4000 graphics card, is this - the HD4000 video card does not support S-video output directly to a TV via the VGA port. A VGA to AV video converter is required. For $23 plus shipping, product 4724 - VGA to RCS/S-video/VGA Converter from Monoprice, my old Sony Trinitron now recognises the extended screen on my new computer. OK...let be clear...this is a "$20 picture", not a $200 or $2000 picture.

The converter menu helps in sizing the verticle and horizontal picture, and the resolution settings in the >start>control panel>display>change display settings>resolution should get you to the right signal, especially in "extended" mode...I'm using the 1024x768 resolution setting which gives me an "acceptable" picture on the TV. Be sure the "system shift button" on the converter box is switched to "NTSC" - the TV signal used in North America and the Westers side of South America. The rest of the world apparently uses the PAL standard, and the unit comes with the switches set there as default.

Yes, I realize the converter is 5% to 10% of a new digital TV and that you can find some "good deals" on digital TV's now. But for those of us on a strict budget that doesn't allow simply running out and buying a digital replacement for a 36 inch TV that is otherwise in perfectly good working condition, it gives you a way to run a Netflix movie while dinking around with other computer junk with your feet up in the recliner in the evening. For 5% of the cost, I'm getting 50% of the "new" quality....which is better than no picture at all.

I'm going to continue researching this...I wonder if there is some driver or setting that addresses the PAL and NTSC issue....it will be interesting to see if the computers VGA output could still be direct connected to the TV's s-video input....but at lease I now have a fall back position that works.

Thanks again to MrHappy for the kick start on running this down.

0 Kudos