Wireless
Participate in insightful discussions regarding issues related to Intel® Wireless Adapters and technologies
7428 Discussions

My WiFi Dashboard isn't working properly

idata
Employee

I've a Intel Centrino Wireless-N 100 with Windows 8 Pro 64-bit. According to the information in the properties dialogue of the Wireless-N 100, the driver version is 15.4.0.11.

I've downloaded and run Wireless_15.6_64.exe.

I've installed Intel My WiFi Dashboard 15.05.5000.0219.

My WiFi Dashboard starts and appears to have all its features. I can start a hotspot and then see it on my iPad and iPhone. I can even connect to it.

Trouble is that the iPad won't then connect to the Internet.

When My WiFi Dashboard runs it starts the Microsoft Virtual WiFi Miniport adapter. I can see it with the ipconfig command as "Local Area Connection* nn" where "nn" is a number. I cannot see the "Local Area Connection* nn" in the Control Panel\Network and Internet\Network Connections. I'm sure that has changed since the Windows 7 version of this software. I used to see the connection in the Control Panel\Network and Internet\Network Connections window.

While my WiFi network connection is shared, there's no provision in the Sharing window of the properties dialogue for sharing with a particular connection.

It has to be some sort of setting or software problem as I can create a wireless hotspot using the netsh command and can connect remote devices to the Internet with it. I followed the instructions athttp://www.howtogeek.com/112050/how-to-turn-your-windows-8-laptop-into-a-wireless-access-point/ How to Turn Your Windows 8 Laptop into a Wireless Access Point.

When I do this, some things are different:

1. the connection uses the Microsoft Hosted Network Virtual Adapter not the Virtual WiFi Miniport adapter (I have no idea what either of these do)
  2. an icon appears in Control Panel\Network and Internet\Network Connections saying "Local Area Connection* pp" where "pp" is a number.
  3. in the properties dialogue of the WiFi connection, when I ask to allow my WiFi connection to be shared, I am asked which Home Networking Connection to use. When I say "Local Area Connection* pp" everything works fine.

I guess I can continue to use the command line solution, but there's a bit of fiddling and I'm lazy and would prefer to use the GUI offering. It worked really well under Windows 7 but now doesn't.

Is anyone able to help?

0 Kudos
1 Reply
idata
Employee

Hi cormanus,

We appreciate your feedback, thank you very much for posting.

We have seen some similar issues like this when the wireless card somehow is not properly recognized by the driver, we recommend uninstalling and reinstalling the wireless drivers and the Intel® My WiFi Dashboard again to fix the issue.

Here is the link for you to download the proper drivers:

http://downloadcenter.intel.com/SearchResult.aspx?lang=eng&ProductFamily=Wireless+Networking&ProductLine=Intel%C2%AE+Centrino%C2%AE+Wi-Fi+Products&ProductProduct=Intel%C2%AE+Centrino%C2%AE+Wireless-N+100 http://downloadcenter.intel.com/SearchResult.aspx?lang=eng&ProductFamily=Wireless+Networking&ProductLine=Intel%C2%AE+Centrino%C2%AE+Wi-Fi+Products&ProductProduct=Intel%C2%AE+Centrino%C2%AE+Wireless-N+100

0 Kudos