Server Products
Data Center Products including boards, integrated systems, Intel® Xeon® Processors, RAID Storage, and Intel® Xeon® Processors
4778 Discussions

SS4200-E: Cannot see ATA DOM or Disk in Windows Setup

idata
Employee

Dear Experts,

I have the recommended configuration now with a the PCI extender, a PCI Video card, attched monitor and keyboard etc.

In BIOS I can see, my 4 WD SATA drives detected, and my either my new DOM or the IDE drive on PATA as well. The sata is defined to be behind Pata.

When I boot using a USB disk to windows setup, I can never see the IDE drive or the DOM as an available option. I have tried this with Windows Server 03/08, WHS and Vista.

However, if a copy a bootable image using a Virtual machine on another machine, the DOM can start to boot, but of course Windows fails because it was installed on very different hardware. However, I cannot even repair it as in Windows setup the disk is not detected.

Is there a new BIOS available for the board? Is there anything else to be tried?

Thanks for your time.

Ashish

0 Kudos
5 Replies
idata
Employee

Dear Ashish,

you are not alone

my idea was WHS with 80GB SSD (IDE) and 4x 1,5TB HD (earlie shut down HD in idel for power saving) but IDE Drive identtified by BIOS and not by WHS or Windows Storage server 2008.

In hope of an solution,

DonDon

0 Kudos
idata
Employee

Hello all,

I think I can now safely say that it is a BIOS problem.

I managed to install Windows Server 2008 to a USB disk, and can now use all the drives on the system, but STILL, within Windows the IDE is not detected.

The only way to have access to all drives at the same time is to boot using the emergency boot procedure (switch off, press and hold pin next to LAN ports, restart but hold the power button down until it goes orange, then release both buttons ->This will boot directly from USB only). However, upon any next normal boot, the IDE dissappears. The same happens when I boot off BartPE, WinPE, and WinXP.

I think if Intel would get around to it, it should be fixed by a BIOS update.

Thanks

Ashish

0 Kudos
idata
Employee

Hello,

i'm faced with the same annoying problem.

I want to install WHS but my drive plugged into IDE/PATA isn't visible at the installation routine..only in BIOS.

Unfortunately Intel hasn't release a firmware update for our SS4200-E(HW) until today which will fix this problem.

When i install my WHS drive over SATA and then plug it into IDE/PATA it will crash with a blue screen while boot.

It will boot only one time if i use the emergency boot procedure.

But the IDE port is the only useful port for WHS on SS4200 cause WHS won't run on SATA/RAID5 with >2TB as bootable device.

Did anyone managed this problem until today?

best regards and thanks in advance, André

0 Kudos
idata
Employee

Does anyone know if the IDE drive can be seen in Linux?

0 Kudos
idata
Employee

Endless,

Intel hasen't, but you should be able to. The EMC software used in the E SKU is a propritary Linux kernel based operating system. The motherboard in the SS4200 is a generic 945 based chipset motherboard. You can get technical details for both the E and EHW (minus the DOM) in the SS4200-E TPS here:

http://www.intel.com/support/motherboards/server/ss4200-e/sb/CS-028562.htm http://www.intel.com/support/motherboards/server/ss4200-e/sb/CS-028562.htm

Regards,

John

0 Kudos